Your First Car?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Irish Beast, Apr 21, 2017.

1. Irish Beast

Irish Beast Beast Staff Member

Looking to start driving lessons (again) next week and hammer them basically until I pass, however long that might be! Job hunting here is pretty much impossible without a licence as the jobs are all in neighbouring towns with rubbish public transport links, but I digress.

Will be looking to buy a car soon and know absolutely nothing about them. I'm going to have to buy something fairly modest in terms of size and indeed expense as the insurance will be a fucker I imagine. Could go on my Mum or Dads but would rather have my own as their are quite expensive and I don't want to be using them when I have just passed the test.

Just out of curiosity really, how old were people on here when they passed the test, did you fail the test once or more? What was your first car as well?

Ta

2. dirtyvest

dirtyvest Elite Member

I passed my test 4 weeks after my 17th birthday being the smug git I am. My first car was a Renault 5 Le Car 2 in white, colour coded B639AEW was the reg IIRC. Had such soft suspension you could get it on 2 wheels and if you had to brake hard enough at the same time you could lift the other rear wheel off too and be on 1 - happy days

it would have looked a bit like this, only cleaner obviously as it wasn't over 30y/o back then LOL

3. s man

s man Elite Member

Passed mine at 18 first time. In fact I passed class 2, class 1, forklift, motorbike and all the relevant theory tests first time as well.

My first car was a bad boy E reg Ford Fiesta gear with the requisite massive speakers that being in west London obviously got robbed lol. Used to drive down to Brighton nearly every weekend in that bad boy and party all Saturday night, get breakfast on the seafront then have a kip in it and drive back Sunday evening.

I'd be honest if the traffic is fairly ok where you're at now I'd sooner be on a bike tbh. These days I'm back in London again so a bike is a death trap with all the ass hole drivers here and traffic is a nightmare so I'd rather walk!

4. Dirty Harry

Dirty Harry Moderator Staff Member

Think I was about 21 when I passed, failed my first test although I know to this day I was shafted lol.

My first car, which I got a few months after passing, was an Astra 1.2 in sky blue, MSC794X, although the engine parts came under the Opel Kadet, got written off on the Parkway on my way to work as some shit with no insurance slammed me from behind at 70 whilst I was doing about 30, his face was a picture when I got out in my uniform lmao.

5. The Love Machine

The Love Machine A steroid pumping, food raping machine

Passed at 27 I think it was? Never bothered when I lived in Liverpool as the train was so cheap to get home. Then when I left everywhere i worked I lived nearby so no point until recently.

Had a peugeot 207 which was cheap to insure and run - except for when the head gasket went! £600 plus labour later I traded it in against an Astra.

Best thing you'll do!

6. Dirty Harry

Dirty Harry Moderator Staff Member

Ouch !!!

I remember when I had my Ford Probe and being quoted that for a starter motor, I was used to paying £90 all in lol, loved the car but just had to go.

7. The Love Machine

The Love Machine A steroid pumping, food raping machine

It was silly to get the work done, should of taken it back to the garage and kicked off.

But I really wanted a new car so just part ex'd it

Dirty Harry likes this.
  8. Scrappy

Scrappy Spit and Sawdust Quizmaster

Jetta

9. Big_Luke

Big_Luke Elite Member

Just get something with a small engine for the first year or 2 but age is on your side with being a bit older which will help a bit and try and get a black box fitted. Have to drive like a nun but does lower your insurance drastically. I've just passed my test again and got a 1.4 corolla and that's 1800 a year!!! My bm before I got banned and made to do my test again wasn't even that even though I was 24!!!

10. Irish Beast

Irish Beast Beast Staff Member

Cheers all. Well the first lesson went remarkably well. Picked up where I left off all those years ago. I think I am going to be shafted on insurance no matter what so might as well just buy a heap of shit first and then change it when I've been driving a while. Hopefully it will be soon as its a nightmare having no transport here other thwn my parents!

11. Clubber Lang

Clubber Lang Elite Member

i passed at 21 i think, spent my teens smoking weed and playing on the N64 lol,

got a corolla for my 1st car, cheap to insure, great build quality, kept its value too when i part chopped it.

bet insurance over in NI is huge, with all the car bombs and riots lol.