The Most Useful Legal Supplement

Discussion in 'Supplement Discussion' started by Irish Beast, Sep 1, 2016.

1. Irish Beast

Irish Beast Beast Staff Member

Was thinking aboiut this other day. I read a lot about people using 101 pepitdes, recovery drinks, workout shakes, creatine etc which cost an absolute fortune.

Im not criticising at all but I wonder which ones are actually any good? Not talking about vitamines but all supplements really. Have you/Do you use one that genuinely makes a difference (excluding protein) or do you think they are just a waste of money?

Simon likes this.
  2. spearman

spearman Elite Member

Phenibut. It's the one supplement I feel working. Deepest sleep ever on that.

3. Dirty Harry

Dirty Harry Moderator Staff Member

I remember reading an article a while ago which was saying most were pretty crap £ for £, but decent creatine was worth taking, for me personally, I only ever really used whey and a multi-vitamin, the odd recovery powder I got free with that I didn't really notice any difference tbh.

Now that Spearman's mentioned it I may give Phenibut a go, used GABBA many years ago and got some decent sleep on that.

4. Grimnir

Grimnir The black triangle is God

I definitely recover better when I have bcaa's but that could also be another protein meal so it's not essential, I never have got much out of creatine.

Anabolic designs ravenous is a great help while bulking, it's very useful to get an extra couple of meals in.

5. Arterial Dan

Arterial Dan Administrator Staff Member

Fish oil - I take at least 10 capsules a day.

BCAA
    - definitely worth it for me - I drink while training.
    I also started drinking during morning fasts recently, but that's as much about reducing coffee and increasing water intake, as anything
    I use the ON one for intra-workout and I use the Scivation Xtend for non-training

Casein powder - the ON vanilla flavoured one is a bit of a staple. Instead of eating sugary shite, I tend to eat that, add in some frozen fruit or cinnamon.
    Muscle Mouse - same as above
    If I need some sugary shite, I try to stick to Gluten & Wheat free stuff - Tesco have a new Ice Cream that doesn't seem to bloat me and leave me feeling lethargic

ON Pre-workout - Not really sure what it adds. Did seem to add something for a while, but I think I just adapted to it. Probably gonna drop this for a while.

Whey - haven't drank it for years. Never looked better.

Vitamins - Multi, B complex typically
    sometimes vit D, or glucosamine, or others

Dirty Harry and Simon like this.
  6. Dirty Harry

Are you gluten and wheat intolerant Dan ?

7. Arterial Dan

Not sure mate - it kind of runs in the family, altho I think it's probably self-induced also - through years of keto dieting and Intermittent Fasting.

I definitely do better without it, I know that much.

8. Dirty Harry

I don't know whether you've read up on the low FODMAP diet bud, if not well worth looking into as those particular intolerances are very common, my girlfriend has coeliac disease and IBS, before her I'd never heard of it, but she can literally go from looking 6 months pregnant to a completely flat stomach in the space of 12 hours, and just loses all energy if she doesn't stick to it, tbh, at first when she told me, I didn't actually believe her, it was only seeing it with my own eyes that made me realise, the biggest downsides I suppose is the cost, and also it can be quite limiting when it comes to taste, which you've probably found out already lol.

What's the ice cream you mention ? She normally would have Swedish Glace but they've stopped doing it now apparently.

9. AlriteGeezer

AlriteGeezer Elite Member

It's funny you say that... Because after a long stretch of IF... My guts cannot handle any wheat/gluten anymore, pasta, bread etc as soon as I eat.. Literally within minutes I'm bloated up like I'm pregnant. It's just not worth eating it now unless I'm having a cheat meal

10. Arterial Dan

Oh, yea, I definitely believe it where your Mrs is concerned. I've seen the same with my sister.
    My mother and brother have some type of intolerance like me, but not as bad as my sister. Inflammation, headaches, feel sluggish.
    My sister's was probably worsened as a result of an eating disorder too tho.

Taste wise, I'm not too bothered because I wouldn't be eating those foods anyway, because I'd just gain fat.
    I was eating some of them when I was with the most recent ex and I forgot what it's like to be addicted to that shit.
    Bit like quitting smoking - just have to hold tough and eventually the cravings fade.
    If I really, really wanted some, I'd just eat it anyway, but that's rare enough.

There is probably a bigger selection in the UK, but the Ice Cream I've seen in Tesco is this one:
    [​IMG]

11. Arterial Dan

Yep, I'm sure it's related to changes in gut flora and so on - but honestly, I think a lot of people don't actually know what 'normal' feels like mate.

I mean if you had a hangover every day, you'd never know it's not normal to feel that way.

12. AlriteGeezer

AlriteGeezer Elite Member

Yeah like you say Iv always suffered pretty badly with flatulence, just put it down to general bodybuilding diet whey etc and food amounts... But since dropping gluten.. I get zero wind/flatulence unless of course I eat something I shouldn't

13. Dirty Harry

Cheers Dan will pop over to Tesco and see if they do other lines.

Btw, when I say taste, I meant more that no onions. garlic and the usual stuff we use to put with or flavour food, she has a chart similar to this on the kitchen wall

upload_2016-9-2_16-7-20.png

14. Mobster

Mobster Senior Member

Removing protein then it has to be creatine for most trainees. After that we all have a bunch of bits we use. As I got older I've become a fan of joint type products.

Grimnir likes this.
  15. Rentaghost

Rentaghost Moderator Staff Member

D3
    K2
    Tudca/turmeric
    Magnesium citrate
    Zinc picolinate
    Fish oil

Only ones I can find any use for. Costs about £60 for a years supply of the lot delivered so its fuck all really. Need to get back to taking them all regular. Dat pill box soon come.

Phenibut can cause addiction issues as it mimics Benzos btw chaps. Do rate it but wouldn't use it daily.

Also rate ghrp2 and mod combo pre bed. Knocks me sparko for hours.