The Dirty One - sept 2015 post blast poncing Pg 225

Discussion in 'Public Journals' started by dirtyvest, Mar 29, 2010.

1. dirtyvest

dirtyvest Elite Member

The downward trend continues, 107.2 this morning and easily getting hole 4 on my training belt now, hardly have to breath in. Also tested a more legit pre-WO dose of caffeine (3mg per 1kg) this morning rather than my 'pep me up' dose. Seemed to work, still don't like the stimulant jitters but nailed a decent workout.

Smith Squats: 10x20, 7x40, 7x60, 7x90, 110x12, 11, 10, 8
    Hack Squats: 10x40, 90x12, 11, 9
    Hamstring Curls: 8x#7, #9+2.5kg x14, 11, 10, 8
    Smith Calf Raises: 10x60, 110x14, 12, 11, 11, 10
    Incline Dumb-bell Curls: 17.5s x16, 13, 11, 11, 9

Carried on with my new mobility drills. These are interesting as they do seem to improve things, but they also seem to expose other areas (which isn't necessarily a bad thing). The recent headaches I'd been getting have gone since doing this too. Anyway, just started to hit my work sets as the caffeine hit. Had always planned to up the weight and was nearly up after 3 sets but that 1st dropped rep left me about 60kg shy on volume so a 4th set had to go on (as planned anyway) and popped out another 8 just fine. Hacks also went up a little and managed an extra rep. Kept hams the same assuming I would be getting some fatigue now, managed a couple of extra reps but they weren't easy easy extras. Calf work was up, managed to just miss 1 rep, volume was up but still went for a 5th set anyway... because calves need to learn! DB curls were tougher than I recalled from last week, couple of reps up overall nonetheless.

2. dirtyvest

dirtyvest Elite Member

An ever skinny 106.8 this morning. Shoulder still being weird, I'm sure the mobility has improved yet I am also getting signs of tightness, does not compute.

Smith Decline Bench: 10x40, 8x60, 5x80, 105x12, 10, 9, 8
    Pec Dec: #15+5kg x15, 12, 10
    JM Smith Press: 65x14, 11, 10, 9
    V Bar Push Down: #15+5kg x15, 13, 11
    Dumb Bell SLR - 'Pinned': 7.5s+1.25kg x20, 17, 15, 14
    Plate Front Raise: 30kg x12, 11, 10

Altho moving fine there was some shoulder pinchyness but mobility work still felt decent. Didn't up weight as I had a jump last week, only 3 reps better but all good. I did up the pec dec and was also 2 reps up so no further volume increases needed here this week. JM work was a bit heavier and did lose a rep or 2 here so the anticipated 4th set was included, but VPD even with extra weight had no issues holding ground (or up 1). Snuck a sneeky 1.25 on the DBs for SLRs and these repped surprisingly well then finished off with a quick front raise blast.

Ronnie_Malenko likes this.
  3. dirtyvest

dirtyvest Elite Member

Had to pick up the pace a bit this morning for our mid-day hospital trip so it was a good job the gym was quiet to keep me from chatting too much (other than getting an update on my mate's new delivery of his A35 AMG). Weighed in at 107.2 so even with a day off work dropping my cardio out my fluctuations are still following their usual trend. Altho I did have to run some errands for TH etc sorting out some curtain poles and net runners for them, picking the grandson up etc. Only a few days left til they have to move so need to show willing. In fairness the house is coming on well but I still don't know why his Dad has persevered with 6 coats of paint on each room (painting over old wallpaper that has a greasy silk paint on top of it) without even trying PVA primer, but what do I know, it's not me painting thank fvck.

Seated Cable Row (EZ): 12x #4, 10x #8, #13+2.5 x14, 13, 11, 11
    Parallel Grip Chins: BW x10, 9, 8
    Standing Shrugs: 35kg x15, 13, 12
    Dumb Bell Spider Curls: 15s+1.25kg x14, 12 15s+1kgx 11, 11
    Rope Curls: #10+5kg x15, 13, 12, 11
    Hack Calf Raises: 10x40, 10x60, 100x18, 16, 15, 13
    Wrist Curls (Cable): #4 x20, 16, 15

Mobility work went well today, it does seem to like a pulling session afterwards too (but then don't we all). Cable rows went fine once I'd switched off to the grunting fool training a couple of feet away from me. Weight was up and reps were smooth, strong and up too. Chins don't show much on paper (a couple of reps better) but I was pulling right over the bar today which made a difference. Shrugs were done standing, much better this way, only 1 rep better but better reps. The tiny bit of extra weight on the spider curls felt like I had added double the starting weight, maybe my pace was catching up on me, maybe it was just crossing the line of good tech, I'll see how next week goes but just managed to keep some progression in there. Rope curls fared better, more reps with more weight. Had to push on a bit for the next 2, calves did very well given the pace, more weight and reps again. Wrists curls alternated with no additional rest, more weight here and just as many reps again.

4. dirtyvest

dirtyvest Elite Member

Slightly tardy start to the day for some reason but hit the gym in good time. 107.4 this morning so still a consistent 1kg down over the weekly comparison. Mobility all OK but certainly some discomfort across the front of my shoulder, may be pec, but the same spot as usual. But moving just fine still.

Stiff Leg Deadlift (Romanian): 10x70, 8x110, 5x150, 190x10, 8, 6
    Single Leg Ham Curl: #5 x14, 12, 10, 9
    Cambered Bar Squat (Yolk): 10x60, 6x80, 115x12, 11, 10, 8
    Hack Machine Sissy Squat: 40x15, 13, 12
    Incline Smith Close Grip: 8x60, 77.5x13, 11, 10
    Reverse Grip Extension: #9 x15, 13, 12

Soon got going and talked myself into another 10kg RDL jump (probably won't happen next week). Fully anticipated this needing a 3rd set and it finally did (was only about 1 rep off on the first 2) but felt solid. Single leg surprised me, up in weight and broke even in reps (1 set up and 1 down) and moved fairly well. Cambered squats reared up the old 4th set sciatica again, first 3 were OK. 2 sets up and 2 sets down with a 5kg increase so rep volume held out for an increase in lifted volume. All felt good on the legs tho sciatica aside. Sissy work was solid, knee took a set to bed in but they all repped out well and again up in weight and even in reps. Same with incline CG, only 2.5 up and the reps weren't easy but held even and felt good, shoulder doing fine. Dropped a rep with the extra weight on extensions, still left me a fraction up volume wise and time was getting on so left it there, may have to had a set next week tho.

I believe the vid below is banned in Japan, so sorry to my dedicated asian fan base

5. dirtyvest

dirtyvest Elite Member

Early start ready for a trip to the zoo with Zach and Ollie this afternoon. I thought I got home in good time i.e. no nagging phone call, but still got a bit of a lecture (she always forgets that with her legs it's not ever like we're going to spend the entire day walking around a zoo). Weighed in at 106.8, equal lightest so far.

Incline Smith Press (30deg): 10x40, 8x60, 4x80, 90x14, 11, 10, 9
    Flat Cable Fly: #5+5kg x11, 10, 8... #5+2.5kg x9
    One Arm Dumb Bell Row: 10x30s, 45s x13, 11, 10, 9
    Parallel Grip Pull Down: 10x#8, #14+5kg x11, 10, 9, 8
    Cable Curls (EZ): #10+5kg x16, 14, 12, 10
    (Wrist Curls: #5 x20, 12, 10, 9)

Mobility swiftly done and all moving seemingly well. Inc work feeling OK, no extra weight and extra reps weren't easy but managed a couple (suggests ego had taken over in earlier weeks) and all well. Fly increase was always a bit adventurous but still willing, as a result the last set had to go to last week's weight but all good. Rows only had a small increase in reps but was more over and very strict so pleased enough with that. PDs up in weight and up in sets which was needed due to rep hit. Bicep curls all good, up in weight and only 1 rep down in the end. Wrist curls finally hit a weight that burned like hell, reps dived with only a brief rest period so a 4th set finally put in.

6. dirtyvest

dirtyvest Elite Member

Weight at 107 this morning so not really much of a drop on the last week so will keep an eye on this. Mobility work all feeling good this morning and ready to get my superhero gains on for Cpt Marvel this afternoon.

Smith Squats: 10x20, 7x40, 7x60, 7x90, 112.5x12, 11, 10, 9
    Hack Squats: 10x40, 95x12, 10, 8, 8
    Hamstring Curls: 8x#7, #9+5kg x13, 10, 8, 8, 7
    Smith Calf Raises: 10x60, 112.5x14, 11, 11, 11, 9, 9
    Incline Dumb-bell Curls: 17.5s x16, 13, 12, 11, 10

Warm up work all felt good enough but unfortunately things went t1ts up on my first set setting up. As I braced myself in under the bar I lifted my head up and got a rather unpleasant crack/crunch on my neck. From a training perspective for today this has just made things uncomfortable rather than untrainable, however, discomfort now is pretty high. I'm hoping it's just some muscular straining that needs to calm down. But back to the session. Squats went alright after that, work sets were up 2.5 and even finished up a rep (I'm at the volume and intensity level were progression jumps start to decrease in size). Hack squats were up 5kg, a decent start altho 4 sets still put in today. Ham curls were good for the extra weight, 5 sets done for volume but didn't tail off as badly as it can do. Calf work was so-so, all up on paper but TBH not 100% happy with the 'feel' of everything.... could be fatigue, could also have been the sore neck distracting me. Bicep work was just up a rep or 2, happy enough that I got a couple TBH as I know I'd let ego push me earlier than prescribed recently on these.

Tested some mobility and stretching to see if the neck would ease off, too early to have tried it really but mobility is actually OK just a few pain barriers to push thru

7. dirtyvest

dirtyvest Elite Member

Back on the loss vibe today hitting 106.2kg this morning. Back/neck feeling better on waking, still sore mid-way down but looking promising.

Smith Decline Bench: 10x40, 8x60, 5x80, 105x12, 10, 9, 9
    Pec Dec: #16 x13, 11, 10, 9
    JM Smith Press: 65x14, 12, 11, 10
    V Bar Push Down: #16 x16, 12, 11, 9
    Dumb Bell SLR - 'Pinned': 10s x20, 17, 15, 14
    DB Front Raise: 32.5kg x12, 11, 10

Mobility work went well despite the lingering discomfort, in fact some bits were moving better than they have done for a while it felt which was interesting. Bench also moved fairly well, unfortunately not a lot of extra work got out of the top sets tho, just the single extra rep altho next week will see a bit more weight and an extra set. Pec dec was solid tho, up to the next pin here and altho rep 1 took a hit all went well after that. Bit of a delay for JMs as I got my back quickly looked at after yesterday but popped a couple of reps or so in anyway. Upped push downs and they felt strong and the extra weight barely made a difference, still did a 4th set. SLRs up, didn't take the hit here I expected either hitting good reps. Swapped the plates for a DB on FRs, bit awkward and 32.5 certainly felt heavy too but all good to finish with.

8. dirtyvest

dirtyvest Elite Member

Still a little delicate but can feel the back improving slowly. Weighed in at 106.2 so a new lightest so far, 7kg off my heaviest this year.

Seated Cable Row (EZ): 12x #5, 10x #8, 6x#11, #14 x13, 13, 12, 11
    Parallel Grip Chins: BW x11, 9, 8, 7
    Standing Shrugs: 37.5kg x14, 11, 10, 10
    Dumb Bell Spider Curls: 15s+1.25kg x14, 13, 11, 10, 9
    Rope Curls: #11 x15, 13, 12, 11
    Hack Calf Raises: 10x80, 105x18, 18, 16, 15, 14
    Wrist Curls (Cable): #5+2.5kg x20, 18, 15, 11

Usual mobility work went fine and feeling good. Still stinging in the mod back but moving alright. Cable rows felt good altho there was a little click at some point but didn't seem to be anything. Wight was up a bit more than I would usually go but managed break even on reps by the end. Kept the extra set today for chins, progressing slowly on these, got 1 more rep out then tagged on the 4th set. Was a little worried how shrugs would go, didn't stop me upping the weight and managed to find a comfy enough groove to get an extra set done with too. Spider curls felt tougher than I would have liked, switched set up slightly and got on better and managed to get away without dropping weight down as I did last week, altho 5 sets were done. Rope curls were up for the same reps so they went better. Calves were another weird one again where the weight was up, the reps were up and felt good - they just don't grow at the same rate they seem top get stronger. Finally wrist curls again, up again here and up in reps (more due to having the time not be quite so quick between sets).

9. dirtyvest

dirtyvest Elite Member

Up on yesterday but down on last week still, weighing in at 106.8 this morning. Upper/mid back still feeling tender annoyingly so was a cautious one given the exercises.

Stiff Leg Deadlift (Romanian): 10x70, 8x110, 5x150, 195x10, 8, 6
    Single Leg Ham Curl: #5+2.5kg x13, 11, 10, 10, 10
    Cambered Bar Squat (Yolk): 10x60, 6x80, 117.5x12, 11, 10, 8
    Hack Machine Sissy Squat: 45x14, 13, 13
    Incline Smith Close Grip: 8x60, 80x11, 9, 8, 8
    Reverse Grip Extension: #9+2.5kg x15, 12, 11, 8

Mobility work still going well despite niggle discomfort still being there. RDLs actually felt more uncomfortable warming up that when I hit work sets, only a background reminder nothing actually painful. Still managed to up my work sets and match reps so didn't need to push the boat out this week with a 4th set (3 were hard enough anyway LOL). Had to have a little form faff with leg curls as I could feel the sore glute I sometime get with these creeping in, a lean back seemed to sort it out, heavier weight and more sets. Cambered squats were where things (unsurprisingly) were less comfortable on my neck. With the camber I was able to find a decent brace point that went OK. Was up in weight and really felt it tho (probably due to moving with caution). Just about managed to match reps, but as per usual that 4th set was a sciatic nightmare - interestingly after 2 or 3 reps and realising I could do a full set like this I quickly racked up, threw my belt off and got straight back under and was a huge improvement. Sissy's went fine tho, 5kg up and really nice reps on these breaking even overall. Finally hit 80 on Inc CG work, maybe energy was going but these felt heavy for 2.5 extra, reps took a bit of a hit but I had room for a 4th set in there. Cable work was a bit better tho, however, still 1 rep shy of volume progression so a 4th was done here too.

10. dirtyvest

dirtyvest Elite Member

106.6 today, certainly signs of weight loss slowing down this week (altho still moving) so I may look at another cal reduction next week. All else feeling good today tho, yes still some residual back soreness but as all week, nothing restrictive. Looking at a day trip to Southwold tomorrow, shame he Mrs doesn't drive else I could drain the Adnams brewery out.

Incline Smith Press (30deg): 10x40, 8x60, 4x80, 92.5x13, 11, 9, 8, 7
    Flat Cable Fly: #5+5kg x12, 11, 8, 8.... #5x9
    One Arm Dumb Bell Row: 10x30s, 45s x15, 12, 11, 9
    Parallel Grip Pull Down: 10x#8, #14+5kg x11, 10, 9, 8, 7
    Cable Curls (EZ): #11 x15, 13, 11, 9, 8
    (Wrist Curls: #6 x20, 12, 10, 8, 8)

Place was rammed this morning, far busier than a normal bank holiday, I guess people have plans for the weekend so everyone was getting their work in. Fortunately other than one brief delay, and it was brief, no-one got in my way. After the mobilising I was moving quite well, inc felt smooth, weight was up a fraction and altho I was down the predictable reps it all felt good and a 5th set sorted it all out. Cable flyes (once I got on them) were also half decent, threw in a dropped 5th set for good measure, Rows stayed on the same weight but got a good few extra reps and form was locked in. Hit me on PD tho, same weight, no extra work, sooooo a 5th set took care of that. Cable curls with the extra weight felt good, some reps were lost so we had another 5th set to add here. Similar state of affairs on wrist curls, weight increase pushing things now, especially with limited rest.