The Dirty One - sept 2015 post blast poncing Pg 225

Discussion in 'Public Journals' started by dirtyvest, Mar 29, 2010.

1. dirtyvest

dirtyvest Elite Member

108.2 to finish the week. Son off school today with this viral chest/cough thing that's going around. Soaked in sweat last night. But he's old enough not to need us there so he has youtube on and food by his bead and off I go.

Flat DB Press: 10x15, 10x25, 5x35, 42.5s x15, 13, 11
    Supported Rope Flyes: #4+2.5kg x19, 14, 13
    Hammer Rows (stretched): 12x40, 70x12, 11, 11
    Rope Inc PD: #10x13, 11, 11
    Pinwheel Curls: 10x12.5, 17.5s x17, 14, 16

Reasonable start after my yoga-ing. Felt worrying heavy when I started but clicked eventually and managed an extra rep per set still with room to spare. Popped a 2.5 on top for the cable rope flyes, cost me a rep per set but still plenty high enough. Hammer rows had some further tech tinkering but a good stretch and pull. Rope pulls felt good, faced in today, good squeeze and stretch, extra weight and equal reps IIRC. Some gun pumping action to finish with, upped the weight and banged the reps.

2. dirtyvest

dirtyvest Elite Member

No scales this morning due to a bit of a gym refurb going on (tarting up the reception/cafe area) which also meant I had my own coffee at home rather than a freebie. I wasn't feeling skinny today tho!

Landmine Calf Raises: 10x25kg, 10x40, 60x16, 14, 13, 12, 12
    Inward Hack Squats: 6x40, 65x 18, 16, 15, (paused)
    Sissy Squats: +7.5kg x18, 14, 14, 13
    Hamstring Curls: 8x#6, #9x15, 12, 11, 8
    Seated Cable Curls: 10x#2, #3+2.5kg x22, 17, 17

Got my yoga on and was then ready to go. Starting with calves and a little extra weight this session, moved fairly well and a 5th set done for good measure. Hacks up next, an extra 5kg on. Good reps here, nice pause and actually a rep up, considering with work and volume increase from the reps anyway I concluded that the extra set wasn't essential (plenty of weeks for that to come in as compensation). Sissy squats went a bit heavier again too and altho the reps on these were pretty decent still I did put the extra set in on these. Hamstrings really struggling to progress weight wise which is odd, something about these hacks and sissys which seems to batter them, anyway, rather than chasing weight I added a set in here. Bicep work felt good. 2.5 up and managed to get a couple of extra reps in in total so held off the extra set here this week too (will probably get added next week).

3. dirtyvest

dirtyvest Elite Member

Still refurbing so still no idea what I weigh this week but today went well. Anticipated progression plans put on hold as I was nailing everything for extra volume without having to add anything.

Incline DB Press (30deg): 10x15s, 10x25s, 5x32.5s, 40s x18, 15, 14
    Flat DB Flyes (w/red band): 20s x18, 15, 14, 13
    BB Decline Skulls: 10x20, 45x16, 15, 14
    Straight Bar PDs: 12x#9, #12+2.5kg x18, 16, 14
    DB SLR: 10s x20, 17, 16, 16

Usual yoga stuff then on with the real work. Opted for the same weight still on incline work with the option of an extra set, however, 7 reps up on the week after the usual 3 sets and it seemed a tad unnecessary and as I have several weeks to go where I may need some sets in the bank it made sense to capitalise on what I already had, all 3 sets moved really well. Flyes were done the old fashioned way this week, not won over by the banded stuff I was doing. These felt good tho, weight was up as a result and 4 good sets done. Skulls, which hadn't been all that easy the last few weeks, also blasted out well, last set equalled the first set from a week ago and enough reps not to feel an extra set essential. PDs saw 2.5 extra on the rack but managed to match rep for rep, set for set so again, happy enough with the volume added there for now. SLRs I was feeling brave, 10s saw a 2.5 jump in weight which in %age terms is quite dramatic but reps were still high enough to see an increase in lifted volume on every set - job done.

4. dirtyvest

dirtyvest Elite Member

Slightly late start due to my son missing his bus this morning but thankfully the traffic wasn't too horrendous. Still no weight up date this morning, getting curious now tho.

Smith Machine Rows: 10x20, 10x40, 72.5x 13, 12, 11, 10
    Assisted Chin Ups: +36.5(+4) x14, 12, 11
    Seated DB Clean: 12.5s x22, 20, 18
    BB Curl (Wide Grip): 12x20, 37.5x15, 13, 12
    Supported Single DB Curl: 12.5s x16, 14, 12

All moving well today. Put rows up a tiny bit and still hit the same reps pretty well, still felt the need for an extra set here tho so tucked in a nice 4th setter. Assisted chins had less help, next pin was 4kg less but turned the dial to number 4 to balance out with 2kg less help, hit all the same reps here again tho and felt good. DB cleans went up to 2.5s, bit of a jump %age wise but still got my reps pretty well so kept it there. BB curls up just the 2.5 but enough to feel the extra work and 3 sets still saw the same reps hit. Then finished with the supported DB curls, another decent jump but got enough reps to have increased total volume over the 3 sets. All feeling good enough to not require a set increase this time round.

5. dirtyvest

dirtyvest Elite Member

Dug the scales out from behind the exclusion zone this morning... 109 (almost settled with an extra 0.2 but it just missed it) so all going to plan on that front. Bloody cold this morning, and been carrying a head cold since last Friday as well which is still lingering but thankfully not too bad.

Front Squats: 10x20, 10x40, 6x60, 5x80, 92.5x12, 11, 11 (Paused)
    Hack Lunges: x20, 30kg x24, 24, 24(total reps)
    Hip Thrusters: 80kg x16, 15, 15, 14
    Hatfield Calf Raises: x60, 112.5x15, 14, 13, 13, 12
    Reverse Grip PD w/twist (Handles): x#5, #7+2.5kg x19, 14, 12
    Decline Kick Backs: 10s x12... 8s x14, 13, 12

Bitter this morning but once my yoga was done and my morning was given a boost by Mr Brock Steel rocking up I got my legday mojo on. FS moved nicely little extra weight, extra rep on each set so a nice job done from the start. Upped the hack lunges game, an extra 5kg, matched reps and an extra set so I guess I'll feel these in the next day or so. Hip thrusters were done the old skool way, that machine does my head in and the gym owners are usually off on 'No Rules Thursday', no much easier and quicker to set up etc, and 15kg heavier for the same rep volume so a good jump up there. Small increase on the calf raises and popped a set on top too but felt good and strong. Tricep twists had a 2.5 on the usual pin setting with a 1 rep gain too so happy with that increase for the session. Kick backs got a bit adventurous, 7.5 up to 10s was Ok for 1 set but I knew I'd lose ground too fast so grabbed the 8s for the rest but still did a 4th set in total so all good.

Got home and had ground rice as I'd understocked on my rice crispies but having something warm today was nice. Then my watch charger arrived, we've had a S2 gear classic in lost property for about 3 months so I have adopted it, just needed a charger so I'll be playing with that a little later and see what it does.

6. dirtyvest

dirtyvest Elite Member

Hitting the morning gym session like

[​IMG]

Way too cold for this nonsense

Flat DB Press: 10x15, 10x25, 5x35, 42.5s x17, 15, 14
    Supported Rope Flyes: #4+5kg x15, 12, 12, 12
    Hammer Rows (stretched): 12x40, 70x14, 13, 12
    Rope Inc PD: #10x14, 13, 11
    Pinwheel Curls: 10x12.5, 20s x14, 12, 12, 11

No quite the jump I've had the rest of the week but a decent enough start ti the session (and I did hit tris yesterday) but still a 6 rep gain on the week so that was good enough for DB work. Rope flyes went up to a 5kg addition each side, bit of a rep dive as a result so the 4th set was added, felt good tho and hit chest nicely enough and didn't really fade off too bad. Hammer rows stayed the same with a 5 rep gain so held that there for this week, next will see a 4th set and probably more weight. Doubled teh ropes up for LPD work, gets a better contraction at the end this way for sure, only a few reps better but a better ROM and really feeling it so again, 4th set saved for next week. Last exercise was pin wheels, weight up here and like flyes, bit of a rep dip so 4 sets done for the additional volume, all good tho, arms loving it.

[

7. dirtyvest

dirtyvest Elite Member

Late start as yet again fvcking stagecoach prove they are useless morons. Kids smartcard not valid AGAIN and the pr1ck of a driver didn't let him on the school bus or issue him an unpaid fare ticket despite him asking so I had to drive him in. Eventually got there tho, and still weighing 109.2 on a Monday so all good.

Landmine Calf Raises: 10x25kg, 10x40, 62.5x16, 15, 14, 14, 13
    Inward Hack Squats: 6x40, 70x 18, 16, 14 (paused)
    Sissy Squats: +10kg x20, 18, 14, 14
    Hamstring Curls: 8x#6, #9x15, 13, 11, 10
    Seated Cable Curls: 10x#3, #3+5kg x17, 15, 12, 11

Got my coffee and yoga on and we were good to go. Just a small increase for calf work but managed to make a rep or 2 extra out of it all so all going well there. Hacks went up by 5 and still matched my reps until the last set were 1 fell off but still 100 up. sissy squats went up another 2.5 and got more reps out than last week. Ham curls still an odd one, form was good and reps were a bit up but no point again in adding weight yet, can't believe it's the sissy's but something is killing my hams before I get to these. Anyway, same weight and a few extra reps were still squeezed out. Usual biceps closer, bit more weight and an extra set put in to make up any volume compromise. Decent work all said and done. bit stretching and yoga to finish with again.

8. dirtyvest

dirtyvest Elite Member

Small dip in weight today 108.8 so will keep an eye on that this week now that I can monitor it consistently. Feeling good tho and ready to train.

Incline DB Press (30deg): 10x15s, 10x25s, 5x35s, 42.5s x15, 13, 11, 10
    Flat DB Flyes (w/red band): 20s x20, 15, 13, 13
    BB Decline Skulls: 10x20, 47.5x16, 14, 13, 11
    Straight Bar PDs: 12x#9, #12+5kg x16, 15, 12, 11
    DB SLR: 10s x21, 18, 17, 16

Nice enough start. Upped the DB weight, took the expected rep hit from a 5kg total increase and altho they moved well (and showing a significant increase on the last time I repped the same weight) the volume compromise had to be made up with a 4th set. Which was never an issue and still had a couple of RIR on the last set. Flyes were an interesting one. Only a rep up and did debate adding another set in, however, a very small tech tweak had an interesting effect that for now made me decide to bench the extra set this week. The tweak in question was to keep the DBs held in a pressing fashion (rather than twisted to face each other) which in itself is nothing odd, but I also cocked my wrist keeping the lower side of the DB flexed against my wrist (on the pinky side) which had a pronounced effect in keeping the tension constant on the pec thru the flye curve rather than having a notable difference in strength thru the curve/ROM. Not sure how visible this positioning is in the vid but I could feel the difference. Even with the extra loading this gave I still had a net 1 rep gain. BB skulls were solid, 2.5 up but reps hardly took a knock, still put an extra set in tho. PD went up too, bit more of knock on reps here (couple a set) so a 4th set needed here this week. SLRs popped an extra 3 reps in over all so kept the work at 4 sets today with room for adding next week.

An interesting side note on recent diet adjustments is that since replacing my PWO meal of rice and mice (which I now have PPWO at 4pm ish - or now) with a fat bowl of rice crispies (170g) with milk and whey 2 things have been worthy of my attention: the good news the acid reflux issues have pretty much been non-existent but the bad news, when I hit my usual 4hr window between P and PPWO I get really jittery and shakey and it comes on pretty quick. I can feel fine one minute then fairly uncomfortable the next so need to remember to reduce this window before it kicks in.

9. dirtyvest

dirtyvest Elite Member

109 weigh in so good to see the week has been fairly consistent but may have to up my game soon. Bit of a flustered start, son's bus pass finally worked (5 days after renewing it) but then the mrs had a puncture so used my old bike inner tube, then she gets to work and it's flat again so bought her a new tyre and tube to sort out at lunch time after training. Now just had an email from my boy's school where he's apparently been telling teachers "don't you know I have ADHD", if it's not one thing it's another! Mrs social meeting yesterday was a joke too, new worker hasn't a fvcking clue, half of them think the legal order is an over-reaction even tho to get that far a full case has to be presented it's not just signed on a whim as they leave at 5pm on a Friday - but they only have TH and his version of events, none of the reports have been read nor hand overs have been made.

Aaaannnnnyway:

Smith Machine Rows: 10x20, 10x40, 75x 13, 12, 11, 11
    Assisted Chin Ups: +36.5(+4) x15, 13, 12, 11
    Seated DB Clean: 15s x20, 18, 18, 17
    BB Curl (Wide Grip): 12x20, 37.5x16, 14, 12, 11
    Supported Single DB Curl: 12.5s x16, 14, 12, 12

Once I finally got going, I got going well. Upped the smith rows (by a paltry) 2.5 but hit the same reps on every set, 1 up on the last actually. Moved well and felt good too. Assisted chins saw an extra rep on each set but it was also time back work saw an extra set too and that also went well, good form and ROM on these. DB cleans went up again, extra weight kicking in now on these, few reps off (altho not too bad) but a 4th set in. Curls felt peculiarly on the money today, reps up, form felt good and the pump was what one would hope for (if it were a night out on the town) put a 4th set in there too. Supported curls only matched rep this week, the extra BB work catching up on me I suspect but still felt good and in order to progress a 4th set was tagged on here too. Feeling good and looking alright for 109 I reckon.

10. dirtyvest

dirtyvest Elite Member

New max BW today at 109.6 (not all time max just since I last got my weight down to being lean the other year). But a later start than I would have liked thanks to driving my kid to school again due to bus drivers clearly being a bunch of fvcktards.

Front Squats: 10x40, 6x60, 95x12, 11, (paused) 11 (not so paused)
    Hack Lunges: x20, 35kg x24, 24, 24(total reps)
    Hip Thrusters: 90kg x18, 15, 15, 14
    Hatfield Calf Raises: 115x15, 14, 13, 13, 12
    Reverse Grip PD w/twist (Handles): #7+5kg x18, 16, 14, 11
    Decline Kick Backs: 8s x15, 15, 14, 12

All started off OK, FS moved alright, went up 2.5kg which might have been ambitious seeing as reps aren't exactly high ATM and is likely to see me looking for more reps and sets in the next few weeks rather than adding much more weight I suspect but we'll see. But I digress, still matched my reps altho I did find the last set while still nailing control not getting the usual pause in, else I would have fallen in to a lower rep target than I would have liked. Mixed affair on the hack lunges, up 5kg and aiming for the same rep target which was going well altho hard work. However, somewhere along the line I twinged my left hip and while it was in the unloaded position too (altho it probably happened while transitioning between rather than being fully off I guess, I can't exactly recall). It didn't seem to effect anything I did tho, finished my sets no problem but opted to avoid extra work sets. Hip thrusters (for hammies) went up a hefty 10kg seeing as I anticipated a learning curve adjustment from the tech change, worked out fine and hit reps no worries (and no pain other than dragging myself out), again, grabbed the gains as they were rather than risk bothering the hip more. Calf raises up 2.5, walking out I could feel the hip niggle more but no worries doing the actual work altho the tiny extra weight made hitting reps a bit more challenging. No excuses not to up work rate on triceps tho and felt alright here, PD felt strong even with the extra 2.5 on but still did the 4th set. Kick backs were better with a more sensible weight today too, 4 sets again and all good reps.

11. dirtyvest

dirtyvest Elite Member

Not too much damage done yesterday after a big meal out for Zach's birthday, 109.4 today. TBF the lunch was late so tea consisted of chocolate birthday cake and protein shake. No bus drivers to kill this morning but nearing crunch time in the training block in terms of RIR.

Landmine Calf Raises: 10x25kg, 10x40, 65x17, 16, 15, 15, 13
    Inward Hack Squats: 6x40, 75x 17, 15, 14, 13 (paused)
    Sissy Squats: +15kg x18, 15, 14, 13
    Hamstring Curls: 8x#6, #9+2.5kg x15, 13, 11, 10, 8
    Seated Cable Curls: 10x#3, #4 x19, 14, 12, 11, 10

Pretty decent showing this morning. Usual yoga start and in to calf work. Just up 2.5 but also 4 reps up so the extra set will come in next week I think. Hacks went up 5kg and reps held out well, however, 4 sets was still on order for this week and so it was done. All felt good, wore a belt today too which probably helped a bit. Sissy's were up again, couple of reps down but with the reps still being up there and with an extra 5kg volume increase was still on point. Time to man up on hams and finally up the weight, was surprised I didn't drop off, decent work here and an extra set. Quick biceps blast to finish, extra weight, still good reps and an extra set. Good stretch and yoga time at the end.

12. dirtyvest

dirtyvest Elite Member

Another day another chance to get the swole on. Weighed in at 109.2 today. Had the bus company ringing me on and off thru out the morning too.... reached a point of "he said...", but "he said...." so not getting too far. Bus driver reckon my son had asked what a fare could cost then walked off the bus before an unpaid fare ticket could be offered, which while is possible doesn't make sense, he knows what it costs but wouldn't had any money so why even ask. Never mind. At least his card works this week!

Incline DB Press (30deg): 10x15s, 10x25s, 5x35s, 42.5s x17, 14, 12, 10
    Flat DB Flyes: 21s x20, 15, 14, 13
    BB Decline Skulls: 10x20, 50x15, 14, 13, 11
    Straight Bar PDs: 12x#9, #12+5kg x17, 16, 15, 14
    DB SLR: 11s x21, 17, 16, 16

Shoulder moving well post yoga but a slight pinching going on inside, nothing of consequence tho if I got my angles right. Same weight this week but the aim was 1 rep up a set hitting 1RIR, a +2 start permitted a no gain last set but all good. Next week will likely see an extra set, extra weight is still being decided. Reps compared to last cycle on these is up a good 2-3 per set. Flyes saw a 1kg added each side and also a 1 rep increase over the sets so a decent turn out there after the extra pressing. Upped BB skulls, lost 1 rep but a net 90kg volume gain, I'll do an extra set next week to up that ante a bit. Quite a decent rep gain on the PDs for the same weight so content with my work there. Upped SLRs with an 1kg a side, 1 or 2 reps lost but still a slight volume gain but again, probably look to up by a set next week. All felt good, good enough pump for a quick ponce to see how he extra weight is carrying.

13. dirtyvest

dirtyvest Elite Member

109.8 this morning, would have been 110 I reckon if the batteries weren't low LOL. Crap night's sleep tho, no idea why but couldn't get off and then reached that catch 22 situation of being wound up that I couldn't sleep which just kept me awake even more. No school today but had parent teacher meetings to do so couldn't even play catch up. Caffeine will be the order of the day.

Smith Machine Rows: 10x20, 8x50, 77.5x 13, 12, 11, 11
    Assisted Chin Ups: +36.5(+2) x15, 13, 12, 11, 10
    Seated DB Clean: 17.5s x15, 14, 12, 12, 12
    BB Curl (Wide Grip): 12x20, 37.5x17, 14, 13, 12
    Supported Single DB Curl: 12.5s x17, 15, 13, 13

Quick double coffee and my yoga bits and was ready to go, too early to be feeling tired yet. Smith rows started reasonable enough. Added 2.5 and got the same reps as last week and felt strong. Assisted chins lost a kg of help with also being a kg heavier than last Wednesday and also hit the same reps here, put in an extra sets work here too Upped DB cleans which took a rep hit so an extra set needed here, not too sure any heavier here would be productive for the next little while tho but felt fine and no pains. Kept BB curls the same after the work leading up to it, few reps up but happy enough not to chase too much here today. Single work also stayed as is but both saw extra reps coming out anyway so all good.

14. dirtyvest

dirtyvest Elite Member

Get in there, 110.2. This is usually my heaviest day of the week, no idea why but seems to fall that way and have finally broken 110 for the first time in a while. Just what I need on a leg day, extra heft to be lugging about LOL

Front Squats: ?x20, 8x40, 6x60, 97.5x14, 12, 12
    Hack Lunges: x20, 40kg x24, 22, 20, 18 (total reps)
    Hip Thrusters: 100kg x17, 15, 14, 14
    Hatfield Calf Raises: 115x16, 15, 14, 14, 13
    Reverse Grip PD w/twist (Handles): #8 x19, 15, 13, 12
    Decline Kick Backs: 8s x17, 15, 15, 13

Not a bad one. Got my yoga in as per and hit the fronties. Moving OK and upped the work sets. Despite the extra weight I also managed to get an extra 4 reps in too. Went a bit too tight on my belt with set 2 which altho kept me tight made breathing a real bitch so surprised I made that set LOL but a strong 1st set and a last set that held on well was all good. Form was feeling good but pauses were not part of the equation today. One thing I noticed was that that little hip tweak I go to on lunges last week was just reminding me it was there so there was little to encourage me on for a 4th set especially as I had a volume increase anyway. Now, with lunges I still felt I could go up in weight. Still form adjustment was to stagger my unloaded leg rather than have it behind just in case the hip flared up. It didn't but it still worked the loaded leg just fine, an extra set put in this week too as reps dropped a bit (altho volume would still have been up after set 3). Another 10kg increase on Hamstring hip thrusters, still trying to nail tech on these but felt good this week, better bar position and ham focus I felt. Didn't need any extra work than that done with the extra weight. Calves just settled with the extra rep on each set, 5 extra reps is decent enough work for that today. Tricep work up next. Reverse handles (I like these) went alright, weight was up a bit, first and last set were up a rep, middle 2 down so even reps on extra weight. Kick backs had the same weight for 4 more reps so kept all that there for this session.

So just to give you some idea of the quantifiable sort of progression I look for. Today's leg work saw FS up by 475kg on the week, lunges up 840kg on the week, thrusts up 420kg on the week and calf work up 575kg on the week so ~2300kg more lifted this session that last session.

15. dirtyvest

dirtyvest Elite Member

109.4 this morning, more's the shame. Crap night's sleep too, second time this week. However, I cycled home last night in a t-shirt and again to work this morning so I think it's a tren heat related issue.

Flat DB Press: 10x15, 10x25, 5x35, 45s x16, 15, 13, 12
    Supported Rope Flyes: #5 x16, 13, 12, 11, 11
    Hammer Rows (stretched): 12x40, 80x14, 13, 12, 11
    Rope Inc PD: #10+2.5kg x15, 13, 13, 12
    Pinwheel Curls: 20s x17, 15, 14, 13

Yoga'ed up, caffeined up and ready to go but today wasn't to be one of my best. Up all round but not the most straight forward and the lack of sleep kept me a bit more restrained in chasing too much extra volume. Flat DB work was only up 3 reps over the 4 sets - I am prone to pushing the RIR harder than I should on chest, I just mis-gauge, so it's not uncommon for rep progression to falter a little at this stage but I kept things fairly in check weight and sets up next week I think, maybe. Rope flyes were better, up in weight and repped the same but did pop an extra set here (as it's an iso). Rows were solid, up 5kg and up 1 rep so kept the sets as they were today. Rope PDs also nicely up, repped well on the same weight, +7, so stopped it there. Curls also snuck a few extra reps in, +5. So a held a little back this week due to the lack of sleep but still got some decent progression in anyway.