The Dirty One - sept 2015 post blast poncing Pg 225

New rule... you know how some people pull a powerband over the length of a bench so they don't slide up it when benching? Not any more they don't apparently. Not something I ever do anyway so I can live with that one. Ruins teh benches apparently (not as quick as heads and arses do but who am I to grumble LOL)

Busy day today, washing machine has been fvcked since last night. So far removed about 80ltres of water in a fvcking baking tray (as it packed up again after I thought I'd fixed it) and removed nearly 2£, a hairclip and some other indistinguishable objects from the filter. Now spinning everything to try and dislodge any other blockages then I'll try it again. Also just got back from the hospital, mrs has anti-inflam and some auto immune meds to start. 3 months to see what effect they have and fingers crossed.

But for me it was pull day so I was able to avoid any potential gym troubles and get my shizzle done.

Bent Over BB Row: 10x40, 5x60, 80, 90x10, 12, 11, 10
V bar Pull Down: 6x#9, #13x12, 10, 9, 8
High Rear Cable: #3x15, 12, 12
BB Shrugs: 110x17, 16, 14
DB Curls: 17.5s x13, 10, 9
Plate Preachers: 30x12, 10, 9

Quick mobilise and on with the work, back feeling good. 1st set of rows was right over, following sets were my normal angle hence the rep difference but all good and felt solid. PD work was switched over to the V bar, last time I finished 4 weeks on #14 and I started well on #13 so a decent sign there. Bit of a high start on the rear work, #3 won't see much weight increase over the weeks I think but we'll see. Shrugs moved easily tho even with a heavy week 1 compared to last block. DB curls were optimistic with 17.5s but worked OK and 3 weeks won't see me too far OTT. Good old plate preachers to finish and a decent starting volume up on last block.

Walked in to the gym this morning not having set any plan for what today's leg work would kick off with at all. Eventually settled on Hacks. Little rushed as the Mrs wanted me home so we didn't leave the washing machine man alone when she left for work, but then he got done and I could calm the pace down again. Was getting warm even at 9am tho.

Hack Squats: 10x rack, 10x40, 70x14, 13, 13, 12
Leg Extension: #15x16, 12, 11, 11
Safety Bar GMs: 105x12, 12, 12
'Hatfield' Calves: 105x16, 14, 16, 13
Tricep Dips: +16x13, 12, 11, 10
Xover Extensions: #2+6kg x14, 11, 10, 10

As hacks aren't all that heavy I don't seem to take long to feel ready for them, moved nicely too, wasn't pausing this time but still well controlled on what I was using 3wks in last time. Leg ext were on last blocks wk4 weight seeing as I was repping it well and still hit numbers fine. This was when I got the 'hurry up' phone call so GMs were done a little pacey but a good weight and good reps were put away regardless, helped having a few in reserve. To save time I did calves with the SSB rather than strip it and reload something else, did them hatfield style and loved it so will stick with it. Rep jump in the middle was because I then got the call to say I needn't come home as it was sorted only it took her 5 mins to tell me that LOL Dips were a good bit up for week 1 compared to last block and even felt brave on extension, altho these were a bit harder than wk 1 should be but as this is an abbreviated block due to the holiday it's not an issue.

Steady progress mate.

Hope all works out well for the Mrs. Shit stuff going on here with mine now. They've found a lump in here private parts so been doing scans yesterday and have the follow up tomorrow so I'm feeling your worries.

That's not good, mate, fingers crossed. They found a lump in my mrs breast a couple of years ago but fortunately it turned out to be nothing, but that was a few days of shitting bricks for sure so I hope it's good news for you all. At least for my Mrs while auto immune stuff, even rheumatoid arthritis, can have potential to be quite harmful, treatment is generally successful so every reason to be hopeful. Altho it will take 8-12 weeks to know if it's working. The clinic at addenbrookes have been very good in fairness, just a shame it took her so long to get referred there

I think the writing is on the wall. Checked where I stood with regards to incline bench today and as anticipated, not in the racks. Still can't put my finger on actually why other than the fact that there is a bench for incline work (altho the angle and rack height is fixed and horrible) and due to someone being banned for refusing to back down and as his mates still train here they can't have 1 rule for him and not for others.... altho it doesn't explain why we can't actually do it beyond not wanting us to, simple as that I guess. So my only option today was the Smith, which someone was squatting in (almost every fvcking rack was free, so how about banning squats in the smith seeing as the purpose of the racks is for that, same principle as banning benching in the rack IMO [:-]) so had a 10min wait before I could even start (being stubborn and all). Shoulder feeling stiff today too, bit more so than of late so no way would the fixed incline work, smith was suspect enough TBH. Side note: weight 104.6, lightest of the week on a Friday, go figure

Incline Smith Bench: 10x20, 8x40, 7x60, 85x11, 10, 10, 9
Pec Dec: 10x#10, #14x14, 11, 10, 9
Single Arm High Cable row: #9x20, 17, #10x11, 10
Lat Pull Down: 10x#10, #13x14, 11, 10
Smith Drag Curl: 32.5x16, 15, 14, 13

Wasn't loving the smith work, fixed plane with a uncooperative shoulder wasn't fun until maybe the last couple of sets when it settled in more. Moved well enough tho I guess and didn't tail off too much. Checked a set on the fixed bench in with just a light weight on so you can kind of see my issue. Low rack height and can lock out well over the top of the struts. If I drop the seat lower so the rack height is better it's about a foot behind my head and impossible to get to. Pec dec next, felt like ages since I last used it so should be some newbie style benefits over the next couple of week, decent enough start weight and repped out competently. With high rows I decided to run this block as single arm. we'll see felt decent enough today altho dodgy shoulder made some funky noises while held extended during the right side doing the work. LPD got a good stretch, ignored the clicking sound as I extended up altho if I looked up it seemed to stop, but reps where full, strong and smooth.

Thought I was going to drown in my own sweat today. Progression being ramped up quicker than usual due to going away next Saturday and I suffered for it in today's heat. Started the week at 105.2 again.

Calf Press: 10x80, 120, 160, 210x15, 14, 14, 14, 15, 13
Leg Press: 8x200, 280x22, 15, 14, 15, 14
SSB Squat: 5x60, 80, 2x100, 120x10, 9, 9
Ham Curl (Single leg): #5+6kg x13, 11, 11, 9, 8
Drag Curl (EZ bar): 35x15, 11, 12, 10, 10

Not feeling quite with it when I started, maybe the heat, maybe not the greatest nights sleep but seemed to wake up half way thru calf presses. If I remember to brace my arse properly in the seat I get a bit more oomph behind it but an extra 10kg and I was still repping beyond last week and put an extra set in too. Due to last weeks horribly high reps I upped the leg press by 20, sod's law it made no difference, other than being hard work, and I still repped these out for silly numbers, additional set was foolishness but what the hell. Legs were really struggling going in to squats so had to give myself some time. No idea how but with an extra 5 I was hitting the same reps, on the last I was 1 up on last week. I almost considered another set but figured I'm better saving that for next week. Single ham curl was alright, a little extra weight but feeling a slight discomfort on the left leg where the ham joins the arse. Reps slightly hit but an extra set was added to compensate. EZ drag curls felt good, hit biceps very well, little sloppy towards the end of the last set but a means to an end.

Another hot start but a bit of a breeze flowing thru today making things more tolerable. Shoulder feeling so-so today. Light weigh in tho, ~104... clothed!! Bit of lengthy today due to lots of training related chatter going on.

Flat BB Bench: 10x40, 5x60, 5x80, 100x14, 12, 10, 9, 9
Cable X Over: #7x15, 13, 11, 10, 10
JM Press, Smith: 55x18, 13, 13, 13, 12
OH Rope (pull apart): 10x#4, #6x19, 15, 14, 13
Standing OHP: 55x9, 9, 9, 9
Laying Cable SLR: #3x16, 13, 11, 10

Getting ready for bench and wasn't feeling too bad, moving alright. Bit of a bigger jump that usual to fit progression in to a 3 week block rather than 4 so whipped on another 10kg this week. First set probably went too well but still kept the volume increase going on the subsequent sets. X over went up a full pin rather than adding a weight. Bit harder than I figured but is up on finishing weight on the last block so I should have guessed really, next week will just be for more reps. Got caught chatting diet after that so JM press was well rested for the 1st set hence the big rep jump with a heavier a load, after that it followed a more expected pattern but still held out alright. OH rope wasn't very shoulder friendly until the end but was also up a full pin. OH work wasn't much fun, 1st set wasn't comfy and felt heavy after upping everything leading up to it. Brought grip in a touch for 2 and 3 and it felt better, belted up as well. Last set felt better, the good thing was reps at least didn't drop off so there is a sign that more is in there. Cable SLR to close with, extra pin was hard going but hit my reps well enough.

Little post pressing shoulder aching today but some mobility work seemed to get it back on my side for a pulling session. Got my lost kg back weighing 105.

Bent Over BB Row: 10x40, 5x60, 80, 100x13, 12, 11, 10, 10
V bar Pull Down: 6x#9, #14x12, 10, 9, 8, 8
High Rear Cable: #3+2kg x15, 14, 14, 14
BB Shrugs: 120x20, 16, 14, 14
DB Curls: 17.5+1kg x14, 11, 10, 9
Plate Preachers: 32.5x11, 10, 9, 8

Pretty good work today, with the progression acceleration a lot of extra volume on last week. Rows up 10kg, extra reps nailed and an extra set. VPD with an extra pin saw the reps as more of a challenge but still held on and also an extra set up. High pulls just had a 2kg DB on each side but reps were strong, shoulder surprisingly tolerant of them and again an extra set. Threw an extra 10kg on my shrugs, got more reps and more sets out here too. DB curls had a 1kg DB added, a 2.5 jump would cost reps and volume, and managed to match reps and then put another set in (detecting a theme here). Finally the old favourite plate preachers with an extra 2.5 which made gripping a challenge and made the work harder but just about clung on and, yes, an extra set on last week.

Lunacy today. So hot so early. Then the local giant quaded latvian decided he'd like to try some volume training with me so things got ugly. Altho for someone who doesn't go this high in volume he was surprisingly lacking in sweat (my defense is he's 20kg lighter than me so had it easier)

Hack Squats: 10x rack, 10x40, 6x60, 80x19, 17, 15, 13, 13
Leg Extension: #15+2 x14, 11, 12, 11, 11
Safety Bar GMs: 110x12, 12, 12, 12
'Hatfield' Calves: 110x20, 16, 14, 13, 12
Tricep Dips: +20x19, 14, 13, 11
Xover Extensions: #3x17, 14, 12, 12, 12

What a mess. Hacks were up by 10kg but the rep increase was crazy 52 on 70 last week, I was on 64 with 80 before I even did the extra set. With all that volume I just opted to pop a little 2kg DB on for leg extension, gutted to see that after 4 sets I was 2 reps shy of hitting volume so had to chuck another in there. GMs up next, better rack set up and I got an extra set out with an extra 5kg so all good, couple of wobbly reps here and there from unevenly tapping the pins but job done. Same weight for calves, really like this variant, hits them hard so that I'm expecting anything in the way of results LOL hammered my reps out tho. Really feeling beat up by now but somehow had to try and get some triceps in (electricians in tomorrow so despite being off work time will be even more restricted if I get in at all). So 4kg up on dips and repped them out so well I was well up even without the extra set, so that is saved for next week if necessary. Xover exts were up to a weight which normally sees form starting to struggle, not today, every set was solid and repped well.

Finally hot the gym at about 1:30. Sitting in a house with no electricity during one of the hottest and most humid days with no fans and wondering how long the food in the freezer will last wasn't the least bothersome way to start a day. Guy was sound tho and rattled thru all the room. Hit the gym already warmed up, well over 30deg and getting more and more humid with the storm showers looming. Bit weird being in there and feeling like a stranger. Had to rush home to eat and get ready for the weekly shop so a late write up too. Another light weigh in tho, 103.6.... lightest for a while with no explanation.

Incline Smith Bench: 8x40, 7x60, 90x11, 10, 10, 8, 8
Pec Dec: 10x#10, #14+4kg x15, 12, 11, 10, 10
Single Arm High Cable row: #11x12, 12, 12, 10, 10
Lat Pull Down: 10x#10, #14x14, 12, 10, 10
Smith Drag Curl: 35x16, 15, 14, 12, 12

Hopped on the smith as soon as it freed, quick couple of warm up sets and was ready to go. Maybe too quick, wrists felt sore on the first heavy set but got my reps alright. Subsequent sets moved better than expected, starting to fatigue at the end but up 5kg almost matched reps on the 1st 4 sets then an extra set. Pec dec saw a 4kg DB stuck on the weight and immediately started out repping last week, didn't drop off too much and an extra set for good measure. Single arm rows had a little set up change that felt good, hit the lats hard and plenty of volume. Wasn't expecting the same results going up a pin on the LPD but these moved well shoulder eventually settling in to them. Drag curls finished nicely, small increase but hit reps and the extra set.

Shoulder has been acting up again but also noticed some neck tensions (probably stress LOL) but spent some time trying to roll, stretch and traction my neck and it seems to have done the job. Still some aching in it tho (the neck not the shoulder) so leg day was going to be interesting, but I had to raise my game regardless. Oh, probably should mention that the last 2 mornings I have had a very un-nerving racy heart feeling on waking, altho actual pulse rate has seemed fine - what could go wrong

Calf Press: 10x80, 120, 160, 220x17, 15, 15, 13, 14, 13, 14
Leg Press: 8x240, 300x21, 16, 15, 14, 13, 12
SSB Squat: 5x60, 80, 2x100, 125x10, 9, 8, 7
Ham Curl (Single leg): #6 x11, 10, 9, 9, 7, 6
Drag Curl (EZ bar): 40x14, 12, 11, 10, 10

Warm ups weren't quite as written down as I was working in with a couple of guys just wrapping up but soon got to my work weight. 10kg up, reps were up and the additional set was in there so over 100 reps in total but all felt pretty decent. Nicely warmed up for leg press now, fluttery heart still there but so far not an issue. So why not up the press by 20. Hardly dropped a rep too which was a shocker hitting silly numbers considering how warm it was this morning and then, yup, the extra set... 91 reps in all and my quads were done for. Had a 10min lay down before SSB squats, even that felt about 1 week to short TBH. Anyway, tried to get on with things to get to my work sets, every set felt wobbly, felt a little nerve tingling too by the last set but got my work out, just about. Single ham curl was annoying. Last week I commented on a pain at the top of my left ham/glute, don't feel it in anything else but bugger, comes alive on this, dunno how I did 6 sets and not sure I should have but I walked away OK. Finally drag curls, bit of jump in weight but what the hell, hard work but volume right up where it needed to be, i.e. up on last block's final week. By this point my bloody ankle had started to seize, I get this a lot and it was made worse when a physio whipped my leg and ankle years ago to free my hip. I think it's workload inflammation and it eases off after a few hours and feels like a pinched nerve right in the joint. Just about got my stretched done thru it and a bit of abs.

Mixed bag this morning, end results were fine tho. An annoying start as there were 5 of us working in on the 2 benches we're allowed to use (while not a single one of the 4 power racks was in use FFS).

Flat BB Bench: 10x40, 5x60, 5x80, 105x13, 11, 9, 9, 8
Cable X Over: #7x18, 14, 12, 11, 11, 10
JM Press, Smith: 60x14, 12, 10, 9, 9
OH Rope (pull apart): 10x#4, #7x14, 13, 12, 12, 11
Standing OHP: 60x7, 8, 8, 8, 8
Laying Cable SLR: #3x19, 17, 16, 13, 14, 15

Warmed up a bit quicker than I would like just so I kept in with the lad I was co-oping with - we both should have done a better warm up especially him as he was maxing for 3-4s less than I was double-digitting but anyway - but things started alright other than despite moving well I could feel some pinching in my shoulder and my bloody right glute and lower back kept wanting to cramp up after yesterdays mammoth leg session. However, 1st set was strong and up on last block, then held steady before getting another extra rep on the 4th set. 5th was on the piss tho, could feel I was driving to the left the whole time which may have been fatigue with this cramping pulling me off line and i failed to lock the last rep so while many would likely count it on paper losing that rep only put me 1 rep up over all. Up to that every rep, even the max ones, and gone better than I thought considering the start so that bugged me. Kept x over weight the same, still up on last block, and repped out fairly well altho it quickly gets harder on the failure effort weeks. JM was up to 60, compared to last week the weight drop was significant but last week I had an extended rest before and during due to training chatter but it's on par with expected progression with all other weeks and moved well. Rope pull apart wasn't comfy (shoulder and back cramps again), switched to kneeling and was much better repping felt about the same so progression is legit IMO. Wasn't feeling good about OHP, lots of aching despite function not feeling bad, most odd. 1st set on 60 was ropy but seemed to settle after than and hit 4 more good sets of 8. Should be stronger but I'll take that for now and after everything else is a positive sign. Cable SLR was pain free with I did not expect, moved well, good reps and a job jobbed.

I'm officially a mess and just before the holiday too. Shoulders have a mind of their own. Feel great one moment and then last night BOTH shoulders were burning all fvcking night, stopped when I got up for a pee then started again the moment I got back in to bed. And I also seem to have night-time induced CTS, my hands feel like I have jabbed 20iu of GH every night. So sleep at the moment is pants. Then when I train, bad shoulder by and large co-operates and feels OK, about an hour PWO it aches like hell for couple of hours, like a throbbing ache, now I'm sat here at work with no pain at all. Can definitely feel an on-going stiffness and aching in my neck but the nature of the shoulder pain ticks more 'shoulder causation' boxes than 'neck causation'. Traps are feeling tight too tho. Will try and get a good going over in the next day or 2 hopefully and concentrate on additional mobility bits during the day.

Bent Over BB Row: 10x40, 5x60, 80, 105x14, 12, 11, 12, 11, 12
V bar Pull Down: 6x#9, #14x14, 11, 10, 10, 10
High Rear Cable: #3+4kg x15, 14, 14, 13, 14
BB Shrugs: 130x15, 14, 12, 12, 13
DB Curls: 17.5+1kg x15, 12, 11, 10, 10
Plate Preachers: 32.5x13, 11, 11, 10, 9, 9

Session dragged on a bit today as I was helping a lad with his DLs between my rows, which also explains why my reps were all over the shop. But rows still felt good, form held with good reps and sets for the weight increase. VPD usually triggers some shoulder pains but was pretty smooth this morning and repped nicely. Same weight but more reps done. High cable pulls were so-so, let form go I think as biceps were doing more than they should, just lazy, some sets OK, some sets not so much. Shrugs up by 10, still moved well and controlled and may explain some neck/trap tightness now I guess. No point going mad on biceps, weight %ages are a different animal here so just chased reps progression this week which wasn't hard when DB had 1 more set and Plate work had 2 more sets.

So after waking up in all sorts of pain in my shoulders and hands I was fine once up and about (altho oddly whatever is up with my hand I can't flex my wrists without a lot of tight pain over the top of my hand, if I make a fist I can't flex my wrist at all). Physio booked PWO tomorrow. It was getting hot quickly so time to get going.

Hack Squats: 10x rack, 10x40, 6x60, 3x80, 90x13, 11, 10, 10, 10
Leg Extension: #15+4 x16, 13, 14, 11, 12, 12
Safety Bar GMs: 120x12, 12, 12, 12
'Hatfield' Calves: 120x19, 16, 16, 15, 14, 14
Tricep Dips: +20x17, 16, 14, 12, 11
Xover Extensions: #3+2kg x14, 11, 11, 11, 10, 11

Made an interesting discovery today. Upping the hacks I thought maybe I'll keep my hands down ready for if I fail..... well bugger me if it's not a damn sight lot harder with my hands held at my waist than if I brace as if front squatting, but it did mean volume was significantly down which at nearly 30deg was more than welcome LOL but quads definitely still hammered and I could switch to FS brace to get a couple of reps once tech broke down. So we'll discount volume today and rely on the 5 sets to max as being good enough. Upped exts a couple of kg, interesting twinge behind my knee that came and went throughout the sets. Upped GM by 10, a bit brave but with the energy reserves from hack squats I figured it's worth a try, went really well in the end. Same weight for calves and managed to hit last weeks reps with +10 on and then the extra set. Misloaded on dips but probably for the best, meant to grab a 24 kettle (no 22s) but grabbed the 20 but TBH reps were up on last block and workload was better than if I'd had 4 extra kg on me. Xovers were a little tough, started single arm as someone was using the other side but switched a couple of sets in, just about got the +1 rep in up my volume on the weight increase.

A little mid session quad action too

Back