The Dirty One - sept 2015 post blast poncing Pg 225

Discussion in 'Public Journals' started by dirtyvest, Mar 29, 2010.

1. dirtyvest

dirtyvest Elite Member

Decent session this morning, still hot as anything even at 9am but moving well and feeling good.

Incline DB Press (30deg): 10x15, 10x30, 42.5s x16, 12, 11, 10, 9
    Incline fly Twist: 20s x19, 15, 15, 14, 14
    Wide Grip Push Down: #16x18, 15, 13, 12, 12
    Smith JM Press: 57.5x10?, 11, 10, 10, 9
    Smith OH Press: 62.5x10, 8, 8, 8, 8
    Laying Cable SLR: #4x10, #3+4kg x10, #3x14, 11, 10, 10

Quick bit of mobility and a quick couple of warm up sets (heavier 2nd set this week) and I was good enough to go. Upped the work sets to the same wk4 weight of the last block and immediately started with a 2 rep gain. As good as this start was it wasn't easy to maintain, finished the sets only 1 more rep for the good (volume was actually down on last week but the priority goal was to better my previous peak week) every set was pretty much it and were it not for me just tweaking something in my lat (not of concern) getting the 1st rep in place on the last set I may have not dropped a rep there. Flyes were up in weight and I was expecting a bit of a drop, turned out fine and no need for an extra set. Push downs were up a whole pin as I repped well last week, repped well this week too matching my reps. Smith JMs, unless I lost count went a bit tits up on the 1st set but came good after that and actually moved nicely, no idea what happened at the start tho. Was pretty beat by now but I still wanted to try a bit heavier on the OH work, not my best idea, no real pressing power left so had to do an extra set to get volume in (TBH that was probably always on the cards), on the plus side, while not perfect shoulder still handled it OK. Laying cable work was a bit pants but rescued it well. #4 was too heavy, meeting in the middle with no handles was also too heavy, so went lighter gripping the cables and these were about right.

2. dirtyvest

dirtyvest Elite Member

Post pressing shoulder tightness rearing it's head a bit today but nothing I couldn't work with, hit all my numbers so that's the important thing.

Rope Lat Pull Down: 10x#6, 8x#7, 8x#8, #11 x13, 12, 12, 11, 11, 10
    BB Row: 10x60, 100x12, 11, 10, 10, 9
    High Rear Pull: #3+4kg x17, 15, 12, 13, 13
    BB Shrugs: 5x60, 120x17, 14, 13, 11, 10
    DB Curls: 17.5s x15, 13, 11, 10, 10
    Preacher Plate Curls: 30x13, 11, 11, 10, 9, 8

Started off tight on Rope PDs but after a few sets I was moving a bit more freely. Work sets up to #11 this week and matched my reps fairly well, even getting a couple of extra ones in there. Rows were surprising, I felt last week I compromised some reps but extra weight this week and the reps were all pretty strong and held the same, in fact I gained 1. High rear pulls just saw an extra 2kg a side on last week but using the ropes got a far more shoulder friendly angle and repped well, held it at the 5 sets tho due to weight and reps being up anyway. Shrugs went up by 10, obviously this cost me some reps but really not many and form was good, popped an extra set in here for good measure anyway. Kept DB curls the same and just pushed for the extra reps which all worked out fine. Plate preachers to wrap up with, fatigue kicking in now and extra reps were a chore, managed some but stuck another set in anyway so all good.

3. s man

s man Elite Member

All still progressing well matey on your journey to Greek god status by the pool in a few weeks! Slightly pissed off with this holiday talk and me not going abroad though. Crete is at least booked for next year however so I have 12 months to grow in preparation

4. dirtyvest

dirtyvest Elite Member

A 12 month growing plan sounds good. TBH it's hotter here than it will be in Menorca, but the down time will be nice.

This morning's session was wrong on so many levels. For one it was over 20deg at 9am, 2nd it was a leg day, 3rd I had shed loads to do. I was in the damn gym for over 2hrs WTAF!! (2hrs between 1st working set and last) Just too hot and losing too much fluid to train fast when 32 sets to failure were the target. All that said, wasn't a bad session, wasn't easy but wasn't bad.

Safety Bar Squats: 8x60, 6x80, 3x100, 125x11, 10, 9, 8 paused
    Leg Extension: #15x18, 12, 13, 11, 11, 11
    Safety Bar Good Morning: 5x60, 100x14, 105x12, 12, 12, 12
    Donkey Calf: +100kg x17, 15, 13, 13, 13, 15
    Dips: weight behind +20kg x16, 14, 12, 10, 9
    Xover Extension: #3 x17, 12, 12, 11, 10, 10

Didn't take long for the sweat to start pouring but SSB work was moving OK and working sets were up 5kg. They were also up a rep in total too (also nicely up on my last training block with them). Just didn't have it in me to do a 5th set. Leg exts were up a pin and finally took a rep dip due to weight increase, still managed to move well and did a 6th set. SSB GMs were much better this week, went very wide with my stance and lower back strain was instantly eased and hams were working hard, maybe too much as near the end my left ham felt like it wasn't quite playing ball so didn't go mad despite the small weight increase, otherwise felt good tho. Improvised the smith to get my Donkey Calf work today, worked really well and reps weren't bad for a 10kg weight jump on last week. I was feeling spent moving on to triceps yet somehow, even with a heavier weight, dips repped out really strong, as reps were up there was no need to go overboard with more sets. Exts finally went up the full pin, not easy towards the end of the reps but all good and they stayed high enough. Some stretching and ab work to close out with.

5. dirtyvest

dirtyvest Elite Member

Training wise I feel I have finished this block on something of a good note with a solid session today, but seeing as every silver lining has a cloud, I fear I may have out-stayed my welcome at my mates gym now. It's becoming apparent that DBs over 47.5 are not going to be replaced and I'm near maxing on those, on it's own I could probably overcome that but today I was informed that benching in the power racks is now banned. The 2 free standing flat benches have no catch pins and I can press over the top of the re-rack position so I don't feel confident using them especially training alone. Also the Incline bench (the one a guy smashed his face to bits on about 2 months ago) is unusable for me, 1 rack height that is too low and too far back to even get started with and again no catch pin so the racks have been my mainstay for over a decade now where-ever I have gone. I haven't been told by my mate himself yet but I'm not sure I'll be given exception to the rule. I'll have to do the maths and see if I still stay but just pay for the days I need to bench at another gym whether it's cheaper than changing gym completely.

Flat BB Bench: 8x40, 60, 5x80, 105x12, 11, 9, 8, 8
    X Over: #6 x18, 15, 13, 12, 12, 12
    Lat Pull Down: 8x#10, #14 x16, 14, 12, 12, 10
    Wide X Pulley High Row: #10 x13, 11, 11, 10, 11, 11
    Smith Drag Curls: 37.5x16, 13, 12, 12, 11

Well I managed to still get my flat bench on the rack and even with an extra 5kg the 1st couple of sets held out well. Then I took a dip and was on shaky ground volume wise but by getting 8 on the last I held myself marginally up on last week without needing to chase another set, I was a couple of reps down but not enough to lose overall volume. With the sets being pushed I kept x over weight the same but repped here like no-ones business. Kept LPD the same as last week looked to tail off at the end and I wanted to keep in double figures if I could, turned out really good here too and was well up in reps (about a dozen up IIRC). I did up the wide high pulls, thought I may bomb out but ended out pretty solid. Put straps on for the last two just to see if it helped, numbers would say yes. Drag curls were up a smidge, a few missed reps but still managed enough to be up in volume so happy with that.

6. s man

s man Elite Member

Wtaf is that bullshit about. You can’t bench in a rack! Wtf is the point in having them then? You may as well just have a squat stand. As a Gym owner from a safety point of view surely you’d encourage it. Fucking moronic

Good block I think matey still progressing well.

7. dirtyvest

dirtyvest Elite Member

Yeah, totally messed up. I suspect it's part of a bigger plan to get rid of all us hardcore lifters who made the gym what it is so it can be more mainstream. Heaviest DBs are still only 47.5 since they sold all the ones 50 and heavier at the start of the year and not replaced them, weren't even honest about that saying they would get new ones. It's reached the point where I'm not only about the biggest there but also the strongest and I don't even train to be strong LOL Today there were 4 people using the 2 benches so even if I'd wanted to use the benches I'd have been screwed. The incline one I cannot use at all, the set incline, rack position and height is physically impossible for me to get above warm up weights on (and I can lock out higher than the catch pins/posts reach). I also wonder how long before other rules get implemented. We're already not allowed to lift weights off the floor, you know, the rubberised floor designed for gyms (rows have to be done in the racks or on the DL platforms), you can't do rack pulls or pin press in the racks, liquid chalk is banned.

They were telling others today too so there is no way I'll be made an exception so I'll save myself the hassle and move on I think. May see out this month perhaps pressing in the smith for a change (until that's banned too) then start a fresh when I get back off holiday. The other gym option (Kelsey Kerridge) doesn't have as much space or racks, but then if we have 5 racks here that I can't use, just having one rack in the other gym that I can at least gives me a fighting chance. DBs up to 75 and cybex hammer kit too.... but a 10min bike ride not 2 LOL

8. dirtyvest

dirtyvest Elite Member

Well I'm skipping my deload week as my holiday is in 4 weeks time so just enough time for another block. However, I am compromising a bit this week so I'll be addressing it as a week 1 but seeing as last weeks volume was so high I will hold a set or so back on things this week. Bit of tweaking over to this block but nothing major, SSB work moving up and hams being single leg.

Calf Press: 10x80, 120, 160, 190x16, 14, 12, 12
    Leg Press: 8x200, 250x 16, 16, 15
    SSB Squat: 5x60, 80, 2x100, 115x10, 9, 7
    Ham Curl (Single leg): #4 x15, 14, 12
    Drag Curl (EZ bar): 32.5x13, 11, 10

So a bit of a light weight session today but the sets I did were good enough making sure weights were at week 2 of the last block and mostly hitting week 1 reps which is good. Calf press moved nicely, slightly wider stance but hit well. Leg Press repped out very nicely with little drop off. Moving SSB work up I may have got carried away with a weight I used last block of week 2 when fresh, we'll take it for now, maybe just hit the extra set and reps next week. Single ham work felt easier than I expected but well focused on the hams for sure. Drag curls staying in, higher rep week went well. Abs at the end and some stretching and that was a very hot that.

9. dirtyvest

dirtyvest Elite Member

So after being told off for skipping my recovery week, rightly so, I have opted to switch this week back to a proper deload, no point risking getting run down or injured for my holiday and yesterday wasn't the best feeling after training so have prioritised recovery.... plus I don't have to worry about training this week if it's all deload work.

Incline DB Press (30deg): 10x15, 10x30, 37.5s x8, 8, 8
    Incline fly Twist: 12.5s x10, 12, 12
    Wide Grip Push Down: #13x10, 10, 12
    Smith JM Press: 50x10, 10, 10
    Smith OH Press: 55x6, 6, 6
    Laying Cable SLR: #2x10, 10, 10

So nothing exciting there. Work was easy, lots of moaning amongst us all LOL a simple enough session that got the blood flowing but didn't require any real effort.

10. dirtyvest

dirtyvest Elite Member

Casual Deload day today. Back work is easy sub max.

Rope Lat Pull Down: 10x#6, 8x#7, #9x8, #10x8, 8
    BB Row: 10x60, 85x6, 6, 6
    High Rear Pull: #2x10, 10, 10
    BB Shrugs: 5x60, 100x8, 8, 8
    DB Curls: 15s x10, 10, 10
    Preacher Plate Curls: 30x6, 6, 6

Bit of mobilising and on to rope PD, concluded after 4-5 weeks that facing out is less shoulder friendly so faced in for the deload. It did feel better and moved fine. Rows were an easy 85kg. Light on high pulls and rattled thru them. Comfy shrugs with a good squeeze. DB curls felt well focused for an east few set and then plate preachers nicely rounded things off. Bit more mobility at the end, apparently had the staff close to telling me off according to onlookers as I put a bar on the rubber floor to roll in and out of to mobilise my shoulder. I'm hoping they were joking about the attention I was gathering for the 30secs I was doing it but I fear not LOL

11. dirtyvest

dirtyvest Elite Member

Cruised through today's little deload

Safety Bar Squats: 8x60, 6x80, 3x100, 110x6, 6, 6 paused
    Leg Extension: #11x10, 10, 10
    Safety Bar Good Morning: 5x60, 100x6, 6, 6
    Donkey Calf: +100kg x10, 10, 10
    Dips: weight behind +12kg x8, 8, 8
    Xover Extension: #2 x12, 10, 10, 10

Not much to write home about. Moving well and freely. Squats moderately challenging the rest just easy

12. dirtyvest

dirtyvest Elite Member

Time to behave myself for today's upper session. Done in about 40min. Starting weight 104.4.... been hovering around that for a while again, time to up a bit more I think (altho nearing 3 weeks post last jab so weight may be getting lighter now anyway)

Flat BB Bench: 8x40, 60, 5x80, 90x6, 6, 6
    X Over: #5x10, 10, 10
    Lat Pull Down: 8x#10, #13x6, 6, 6
    Wide X Pulley High Row: #8x8, 8, 8
    Smith Drag Curls: 30x10, 10, 10

So the take home from this is the benches are usable.... when deloading. I don't like them. First of all it makes me super wary of my shoulder which compromises things from the off and if anything could increase my risk factor. Unrack height may just be unfamiliar but it's a little low for my liking. Benching was all fine tho. I did notice when I dropped the bar back over my head to re-rack it bounces off the struts if I do hit them which is a worry. Anyway, easy deload sets done. Xovers, easy. LPD, easy (shoulder a little twingy), High pully rows doe single arms so as not to hog the cables, felt good actually.... and easy. Drag curls being fresh were even easier.

13. dirtyvest

dirtyvest Elite Member

Back on the gain train this morning, altho 21deg at 9am does not lend itself to a leg session to look forward to. 105.2 at weigh in.

Calf Press: 10x80, 120, 160, 200x15, 13, 12, 11, 10
    Leg Press: 8x200, 260x22, 18, 14, 14
    SSB Squat: 5x60, 80, 2x100, 115x10, 9, 8
    Ham Curl (Single leg): #5+4kg x13, 13, 11, 9
    Drag Curl (EZ bar): 32.5x14, 12, 11, 10

Warming up wasn't a problem in the heat today, calf work went well, decent weight and decent reps all moving well with a little left in me. Leg Press was a surprise, weight up a good bit for week 1 but reps were relentless and just kept going. SSB Squats I think suffered a little from the leg press work, altho last week was tougher than in should have been I couldn't get much more today, just 1 rep on the end.... didn't take my usual leisurely break between the 2 either. Popped a DB on to meet in-between the 7.5kg jump on a whole pin, focused on the hams nicely. Drag curls at the end using the EZ bar, got some nice reps out on those.

14. dirtyvest

dirtyvest Elite Member

I forgot to mention (can't believe I forgot considering the internal rage it created) but someone got away with doing a whole bench session in the rack yesterday, even with one of the PTs guys, who never do PTing, walking around tidying up around him and not a word was said. I thought about seeing if I could do it today but as I was sub-maxing I thought I'd hold out rather than risk getting kicked out mid session LOL Anyway, today was my push day and I seemed to smash it considering.

Flat BB Bench: 10x40, 5x60, 5x80, 90x14, 16, 12, 11
    Cable X Over: #6x18, 14, 13, 11
    JM Press, Smith: 50x15, 12, 11, 11
    OH Rope (pull apart): 10x#4, #5x21, 14, 12
    Standing OHP: 50x10, 10, 10
    Laying Cable SLR: #2x22, 15, 14

Repping for fun this morning. Little tight warming up but soon found my mojo. 90 felt really light today and reps were well up on last block's wk 1 numbers, dunno how set 2 out repped set 1. X over was week 4 weight for week 4 reps on week 1 without being hugely difficult which makes no sense whatsoever. Moved JM press up the order and felt fairly good even with the increased work prior to it altho had to watch shoulder position in setting up. Decided for some OH cable work for triceps for a change, used 2 ropes so I could get a good extension with each arm, jury is still out but not bad. I think high reps are the way to go with them tho. Took a chance with some standing OHP work to see how the shoulder would behave, not perfect if I'm honest but not as bad as expected either. Only 50kg but fatigued it was acceptable enough for today and moved as well as could be expected, may be a bit better. Finished with my laying SLR work, little set up adjustment which I need to not, got further down between the cables rather than laying further out from the cables and it certainly hit things differently. Light weight and high reps as a result.

15. s man

s man Elite Member

When you get to that age when you just don't give a fuck. Benching in the rack! Fuck the system lol

Progressing nicely in here. Just need a bit of MT2 and you'll be truly swole and holiday ready shortly.