The Dirty One - sept 2015 post blast poncing Pg 225

Discussion in 'Public Journals' started by dirtyvest, Mar 29, 2010.

1. dirtyvest

dirtyvest Elite Member

Interesting day today. Spent a while again mobilising everything as time is on my side during these deload session and felt good on the whole.

Hammer Row: 8x40, 7x60, 80x7, 7, 7
    Incline Rope PDs: #10x8, 8, 8
    Rear Delt (Pec Dec): #6x10, 10, 10
    Upright Rows (3/4): 42.5x8, 8, 8
    BB Curls (Wide): 42.5x6, 6, 6
    Singe Arm Cables: #3x10, 10, 10

No difficulties here. If fact things moved so well and with so much left in the tank that I didn't realise I had misloaded my upright rows and bicep curl weight so much that i was actually heavier than my max work last week. Was meant to have had 32.5 on, never mind, still didn't max effort the work. All was good tho, rows were nice and strict for easy reps, Rope PDs felt a little weird not being as thoroughly warmed up but still went fine. Despite the extra weight uprights were easy, biceps a little harder (which was when I started to realise what I had done) but still not a problem for the reps. Cricifix reps were a breeze.

2. dirtyvest

dirtyvest Elite Member

Looks like it's all go again with social services and my twathead step-son and his GF. If all is to be believed she's reverting back to old way which is not a good sign. However, I'm not letting him off the hook as he's done his fair share of fvcking up too. The baby is underweight to the point where family care workers are making them keep a daily diary but from him moaning about what she says and does I think someone else has contacted social so they look to be back on the case. Fun and games

Lovely little session today, warm enough today to get a tiny sweat on, movements felt good and all simple enough even with the weeks continued trend of overloading.

Back Squats, Tempo: 8x60, 6x80, 4x100, 110x5, 5, 5
    Hack DLs: 10x70, 80x7, 7, 7
    Hamstring Curls: #8x6, 6, 6
    Seated Calf Raise: 8x40, 55x10, 10, 10
    Decline BB Skulls: 40x10, 10, 10
    Rope Push Down, Split: #8x8, 8, 8

Squats were lovely (not often you get to say that). Had my flat shoes on interestingly, not for any particular reason, deep, slow and smooth. Tried hack on the smith, had to use every mat and block and still felt too low. Anyway, it also still felt awkward so that's one I'll knock on the head for good I think. Hams were good, slow tempo still made it work a bit but all fine. Calf raises were nice and tempo-ed too. Skulls for tris were straight forwards enough. Rope splits I read the wrong page and exercise for reference and was 2 pins heavier than my max work last week LOL still got the reps easy enough so no sleep lost.

3. s man

s man Elite Member

I think you're getting bored and subconsciously adding extra weights lol

Fucking twatheads are always going to be twat heads. Unfortunately as I get older I start to realise more and more some people will never change no matter what chances the world gives them. It's like an in built woah is me mechanism.

4. dirtyvest

dirtyvest Elite Member

The challenge is my mrs keeps wanting to give her son the benefit of the doubt, I don't want to forever assume everything he says and does is bullshit but I also don't want her being blinded by loyalty to him altho I do understand her need and desire to trust him and not just fvck him off. She says we can't keep judging him on his past, but I'm afraid his entire adult life has been riddled with dishonesty so that's a bed he has made. I think she is aware of diving in 100% believing him but it's not an easy one to approach when trying to keep a reality check with her. The trouble is his GF is a nightmare and I don't doubt for a second she could be or is doing what is claimed, but she's also any easy blame for him to try and make himself out as a victim rather than not having really done enough himself. It could all be true, it could be half true and it could just as easily be complete bollox.

Time will tell, but it looks like we're back down the rocky road of social services again

5. dirtyvest

dirtyvest Elite Member

Very easy and quick session today. Weighed 104 so lost a kg over the week but I've probably been about 400cals lighter each day simply as an offset against the work demands so I dare say next week that kg will come back straight away.

Inc DB Press, 30deg: 10x15s, 8x25s, 35x7, 7, 7
    Cable Fly (lo-hi): #4x10, 10, 10
    Chins: 5, 5, 5
    V bar Row, Landmine: x50, 75x6, 6, 6
    Hammer Rope Curl: #8x12, 12, 12

Lots of pauses and slow negatives today just to keep me engaged but nothing was an issue... well, there was 1 issue, trying a muscle up and failing. I'm claiming that trying them after chins and rows is what cost me but I simply cannot carry the speed and momentum thru at the top and I doubt even fresh I would get it. That may have to be my goal exercise goal for the year tho. Technique is obviously an issue that needs learning but right now it feels way off nailing the transition part.

6. s man

s man Elite Member

Tried the same thing last week and failed just as convincingly. Can't remember if they had them up around your way but we've got loads of park based outdoor gyms down here (there's 5 within 2 miles of my house) and they have decent pull up bars that I will nail one on this year at some point. I think it's a matter of learning the tech more than anything because as bodybuilders we realise that cross fit is gay so it must be easy o_O

7. dirtyvest

dirtyvest Elite Member

It is highly technical. Not being fresh didn't help, I can easily knock out double figure chins with next to perfect form so a momentum based muscle up should be there, it's carrying the speed at the top and getting the transition. But I'm also acutely aware that at over 100kg and with no gymnastic skill or ability it could be a recipe for injury

8. dirtyvest

dirtyvest Elite Member

New block and a slightly new approach switching the order up on this session a bit let squat focus and more on the rest as the block progresses. Quickly got warm in there this morning tho. Starting weight 104.4 (end weight 103.6).

Calf Press: 10x40, 80, 140, 180x15, 14, 12, 11, 10
    Leg Press: 8x200, 240x14, 12, 10, 10
    Back Squat: 5x60, 80, 110x9, 7, 6
    Ham Curl: #8x14, 10, 9, 8
    Drag Curl (EZ bar): 37.5x10, 9, 8, 8

That was interesting, and felt good. Calf work started off nicely, kept rest down to about 60secs and popped the reps out no problem. Looking at the vid I can't actually see if I had the 10s on to make it 180 and not 160 but I'm sure I did, can't remember now tho. Staying put for leg press, been a while since I have done these but some major form work today, properly deep, knees in armpits deep, pause at the bottom. Thought I had 280 on, I didn't I had 240 and for the reps and form these were very quad heavy and far from easy. Back squats next was going to be interesting, quads were feeling it but I only needed 3 sets. I decided to stick with last block's start weigh and see how it would go, unsurprisingly I lost some reps even with a good rest between them but they all felt good enough. Ham curls were the same start weight also, maybe a couple reps better than last block. Finished of with some drag curls, not done them for a while, used the EZ bar, they seem to feel better afterwards than during but on the plus side they don't pull on the funky shoulder like curls can sometimes do. Rehab at the end and even some ab rolls.

9. dirtyvest

dirtyvest Elite Member

Nice little press session to look forward to today, a few changes on the cards but nothing too major to overhaul. Shoulder not feeling too bad and wen thru mobilisation work alright.

Incline DB Press (30deg): 10x15, 10x25, 37.5x16, 14, 11, 10
    Incline fly Twist: 12.5s x17, 17, 17, 17
    Wide Grip Push Down: #13x17, 13, 12
    Smith JM Press: 50x13, 11, 10, 10
    Smith OH Press: 55x10, 8, 8
    Laying Cable SLR: #3x12, 11, 10

All went well thru that lot. Couple of warm up sets then went up a set for week 1 of incline work, moved fairly well with reps in the tank still. Brought flyes back in for the iso work with a little quarter turn, slow tempoed reps with a pause for good measure. Reps never dropped, not sure why, could feel a little pulling in my bicep tendon towards the end so may have to watch that (in the arm that has a bicep tendon). Wide grip push downs went up a pin for week 1 being fresher in the tricep set up, no problems getting reps out with some to spare. Went to the smith machine next to see how JM work would go with them, workable was my conclusion so I'll stick them out. Stayed put for some smith OH work, lighter start this block so I can try and build on it, bit clunky to begin with but eased thru, kept it at 3 sets to be safe tho. Another SLR favourite to finish, laying cables hits them true and hard, controlled and paused cos that's how I roll.

10. dirtyvest

dirtyvest Elite Member

Nice session out on the pull this morning

Rope Lat Pull Down: 10x#4, 10x#6, #9x12, 11, 11, 12
    BB Row: 10x60, 100x9, 85x10, 10, 10, 10
    High Rear Pull: #2x18, 18, 16
    BB Shrugs: 5x60, 100x14, 13, 12
    DB Curls: 15s x14, 12, 10
    Preacher Plate Curls: 30x10, 8, 8

Nice easy start on the rope work, made easier by a bit of chatting between sets hence reps hardly changing. Sat facing out of the seat this time for a change, getting the stretch pulling back more which didn't feel a lot different but was alright.BB rows felt good altho my 80kg test set ended out being 80 on the bar for 100kg, which wasn't too bad but not at the rep range or RIR target that I wanted, 85s after were smooth, tight and oddly consistent. High pulls for the rear delts were nice, went with a wide set up using the cover pulleys only not crossing them over and it felt quite nice, you can see the rear delts kicking in anyway. Some old skool BB shruigs next, tempoed reps and fairly straight forward. DB curls haven't seen action for a while so I started biceps off with them and worked pretty well keeping form tight. Another improvised exercise next, and a good one at that, plate curls on a preacher as a hammer alternative, hit the spot with those.

11. s man

s man Elite Member

Good session that old boy. My arm started to weep when I saw Regan Grimes doing those plate preacher curls the other week so I passed on giving them a whirl lol Lovely paused bb rows to with none of the BS knee bouncing shit I see most people do.

12. dirtyvest

dirtyvest Elite Member

Yeah, they were an interesting curl variation, in a good way. Not too sure increasing incrementally will be that easy tho. That little paused squeeze on the rows certainly wakes the lats up, secret to success there is just to bring elbows back in line with the body, not to pull the bar right in to your waist... as the weight goes up over the weeks form may lose a little tightness but the aim is to keep it on track

13. dirtyvest

dirtyvest Elite Member

Very muggy morning, bit windy but not cold and you just couldn't breath in the gym. Made a theoretically easy session a bit of a sweat fest

Safety Bar Squats: 8x60, 6x80, 110x10, 9, 8 paused
    Leg Extension: 8x#7, #10x17, 14, 14
    Safety Bar Good Morning: 5x60, 90x10, 10, 10
    Donkey Calf: +80kg x16, 12, 12, 12
    Dips: weight behind +12kg x10, 9, 9, 9
    Xover Extension: #3x10, #2x15, 14, 14

Been a while since I was last cycling in SB Squats and my journal had me doing a bit better than this, I also looked back on YT and I would question the legitimacy of the tempo and pauses compared to today's work so with that in mind I was happy enough. Maybe not as many RIR as I would have liked but all good. Extensions up next, these have been out a while too, starting weight was up and repped easy tho so that was better. Good mornings back in too, on the safety bar, no sciatica issues this week but 90 certainly wasn't easy but focused on the hams well. Finally found a use for that damn hip thruster machine, did some donkey calf raises, the added weight was a little uncomfortable but effective. Questioned whether dips would be wise with my shoulder still but they weren't heavy, tempo was focused and also discovered hanging the weight behind me was actually quite effective. Finished tris off with the xover extensions, ambitious start, #3 wasn't silly but offered little scope for practical progression, #2 was repping for fun but hit the spot. Finally threw in some ab rolls before my stretching and rehab work.

14. s man

s man Elite Member

One thing I've noticed is your rep tempo has changed massively now. It's a lot slower and more controlled since you've started this programming work. I must admit it's something I have done myself over the last year as I'm massively influenced by JP and it's something he drills home. Progressive resistance but always maintain full control of the weight taking the muscle from it's shortest point to it's longest. Also progression in different rep ranges in the same workout is something that never occured to me till he laid it out but that's a different subject.

15. dirtyvest

dirtyvest Elite Member

I'm not hugely in to the whole cadence training thing (I don't get the whole lifting half the load for twice the length of time, more weight = bigger and stronger) BUT there is science supporting the hypertrophic benefits of stretching under load so do pay a little more attention to that aspect but still try to 'lift' at normal pace, on isolation work I'm a even more tempo focused getting a deep (but not excessive) stretch. It does reduce the loading somewhat but not too much and this has permitted many of my niggles to be less of a factor when training, even the shoulder is improving. And yes, the nature of the volume and fatigue, especially as the cycle progresses, means that reps can vary from 5 or 6 up to 20 within the same workout and muscles