The Dirty One - sept 2015 post blast poncing Pg 225

Discussion in 'Public Journals' started by dirtyvest, Mar 29, 2010.

1. dirtyvest

dirtyvest Elite Member

Everyone's favourite day...

JM Press: 8x20, 8x40, 7x50, 60x 11, 9, 9, 8, 7
    Barbell Curl (wide): 10x20, 35x16, 12, 11, 10, 10
    Push Downs: #13x 17, 14, 11, 11, 10
    Hammer Curls: 15s x16, 12, 11, 10, 10
    Overhead Rope: #10x 20,16, 14, 14, 13
    Side Lat Raise: 10s x18, 13, 13, 11, 11

Another day of considerably favourable shoulder mobility, little pinching but nothing of consequence. Straight in with JM presses, once I got my grip comfy these moved well, same weight as last week but more sets and reps. Curls up next, wasn't too sure about upping the weight with the sets and reps needed but in the end I took the plunge and it went pretty well, better than last week even. Upped push downs too, 1st set wasn't as good but after that the tail off wasn't too bad and hit good ranges. On to hammer curls, extra 2.5 an arm, could really feel these, not much came easy after the 1st set. OH row work as usual took a set to find a comfy lock in for my shoulder but all moved well and didn't lose much at the end either. Concluded with some SLRs (not on film as I nearly forget and half way thru producing my vid when I clicked), extra couple kgs here was a hard hit but did alright.

2. dirtyvest

dirtyvest Elite Member

Second round of leg work for the week coming up. Shoulder a little tight today but after 2 days of upper body work that's not altogether surprising. Got there in the end tho and could actually grip the bar for my squats. Also got thru the session with not sciatic issues.

Squats: 6x60, 80, 4x100, 125x9, 8, 7, 7, 6
    Ham Curls: #8+5kg x11, 9, 8, 7, 6
    Cable Pull Thrus: #13x20, 14, 13, 12, 11, 9
    Seated Calves: 70x10, 9, 8, 8, 7, 8
    Front Lateral Raise: 12.5sx14, 12, 10, 11, 10, 11

Decent work today, extra couple of kgs on squats and still matched volume thru the 1st 4 sets plus the extra set, tech was pretty clean too. With hams feeling so much more mobile this week I got brave and upped curls with a 5kg DB. Keeping hips planted these soon got tough but did the job. Moved PTs up next instead of calves, extra weight, tiny rests, and again horrible back pump. Seated calves was probably a bit optimistic going up 5, just wasn't thinking, but did a reasonable enough job of the reps, will probably hold weight and target more reps next week. Finished with front raises, considering the %age weight increase I did more than I thought I would here. Weighed in at my heaviest since my cut ended so things are going alright for now I reckon... clothed I was 103.6 (or .8 I forget)

3. dirtyvest

dirtyvest Elite Member

Good session this morning, not the most shoulder friendly considering the last few days so was feeling it a bit but not enough to really get in he way.

Incline DB Press (45): 10x17.5s, 7x25s, 6x30s, 37.5s x15, 12, 9, 8, 8
    Lat Pull Down: #12 x16, 12, 12, 12, 11
    Incline Cable Fly: #3+5kg x12, 10, #3+2.5kg x9, 8, 8
    Cable Pull Over: #12 x13, 11, 10, 9, 8
    Flat DB Ext: 7x10s, 15s x14, 11, 9, 8, 8

Pressing started a little tight but once warm ups were done things were OK. Warm up were all a bit heavier as were the work sets. Reps and volume all good, wave 1 saw the last week doing 60 total reps so down on that but my incline is higher this time round so not a direct comparison and still some reps to come. LPD was a little clicky initially but by the end was moving well, no idea how the middle sets all went for 12, good form even if I do say so myself. Incline flyes were good despite a little excitement by increasing each side by 5kg, dropped to 2.5 after a couple of sets which was still up and kept the reps reasonable. Pullovers were solid enough with the extra weight and then finished it all off with some DB exts to get the tris going, good reps here again just need to decide if I up reps or weight for the final week. Found myself alone for about 2 mins between pull overs and extensions so broke the gym rules with a quick shirt off pose - considering the extra weight I've put on it wasn't too bad.

4. dirtyvest

dirtyvest Elite Member

My legs are crying

SB Squats (paused): 8x40, 7x60, 5x80, 4x100, 115x11, 8, 8, 7, 6
    SLDL: 8x120, 160x11, 10, 9, 8, 7
    Leg Press: 6x240, 330x10, 9, 8, 7, 6
    Calves (Smith Squat): 115x10, 10, 9, 9, 8, 9
    DB Curls: 6x12.5, 17.5x14, 11, 9, 8, 7

One of the most unforgiving sessions I've had in recent times. Put the SB squats up a whole 5kg which was horrible, got all my reps but pretty confident that an extra rep on any set wouldn't have had tech nailed so happy with that. No sciatic issues today here so a pleasing start, but my legs were fvcked, matched last week's rep volume. So SLDLs were going to be fun. 5kg up here and harder than I thought, expected a little more but I think the squats had knocked me back, still matched last week's rep volume with extra weight here too. Fvck knows how I managed leg press, after the 1st set my legs felt like jelly but again, over the 5 sets rep volume held even with an extra 10kg but that was me done for legs, thankfully. Well, I had some calves to do and they went OK - down on last run of them but they were done alone and fresh last time. Biceps to finish with, reps up there but weight stayed the same, going heavier here would have definitely resulted less volume (weight and reps) than last week. Usual PWO faffing about but now I was over 2hrs so headed off home to eat.

5. dirtyvest

dirtyvest Elite Member

Legs feeling OK so far today, leaves me fearing tomorrow. But no time to dwell, today was chest day, shoulder feeling alright this morning.

Flat DB Bench: 10x15s, 8x25s, 7x35s, 42.5s x13, 10, 8, 7, 7
    Lever Rows: 8x70, 90 x13, 10, 10, 9, 8/9
    Flat DB Flye: 18.5s x16, 15, 13, 12, 11
    V Bar Rows: #13+5 x14, 13, 11, 9, 9
    Supported Rear Delt: 8s x14, 13, 11, 10, 10

Sensibly done today, hard work and on the money. Tempted to up DB work but thought better of it and just as well, on 3 reps for the good, first 2 sets max made the last 3 a struggle. Lever rows were surprisingly solid, only up 2.5 but reps held strong almost until the end. Cheeky little 1kg a side extra on flyes, these were tough keeping the reps in double figures while also keep control. V bar rows up with 5kg of DB, somehow made reps here after last week feeling ropy. Rear delts to close off with, bit meh here but decent enough. Bit of stretching and mobility to finish. Weighing 103.2 today.

6. dirtyvest

dirtyvest Elite Member

Shoulders feeling surprisingly OK after yesterday's session so got my mobility done and off we went

JM Press: 8x20, 8x40, 7x50, 62.5x 12, 11, 10, 9, 9
    Barbell Curl (wide): 10x20, 37.5x17, 12, 11, 10, 9
    Push Downs: #14x 16, 14, 12, 10, 10
    Hammer Curls: 16s x16, 12, 11, 10, 10
    Overhead Rope: #12x 19,14, 13, 12, 11
    Side Lat Raise: 11s x19, 15, 14, 13, 12

Pleased to start off immediately with none of the usual background pinching on the press work, work sets up just 2.5 but the reps came out well. Popped a 2.5 on the curls too and again, reps held true to form and reps poured out smooth. Great pump and could only just get my sleeves back on for PDs. Up a pin and total rep volume was the same so a good total volume increase there with no form compromise. I figured the 17.5 would be a big jump on hammers so added a 1kg to each hand with the 15s for an even rep spread but that's still 59kgs more volume for each arm. Over head didn't start so pain free but after the 1st set I found my groove and didn't have any problems, 2 pin jump in weight so some reps dropped but all good. Final pump on some SLRs, an extra 1kg in each hand and reps were pretty decent, up on last week in fact.

All go now, got the grandson over in a bit (and TH and his GF), it's his 1st tomorrow but Mrs has to work with a school trip so we've organised a party of sorts for today.

7. dirtyvest

dirtyvest Elite Member

Second round of a cold is starting I think, the last couple of nights and mornings I have sensed some slight roughness creeping in but nothing to prevent proceedings. Was a slight delay this morning tho as I had to take my to the Drs, nothing major but possibly some kidney pains. I was moving well enough this morning once the shoulder could reach behind me...

Squats: 6x60, 80, 4x100, 130x10, 9, 8, 8, 7
    Ham Curls: #9kg x14, 10, 8, 7, 6
    Cable Pull Thrus: #14x20, #17x15, 15, 15, 10, 13
    Seated Calves: 70x12, 11, 11, 10, 9, 9
    Front Lateral Raise: 12.5+1 x14, 12, 12, 11, 10

Thankfully not as brutal as Monday but tough enough. Initially questioned whether I was recovered from that session but I guess I was, 2 reps up on my last round of back squatting with this weight and that was done at the start of the week. Ham curls were an odd weight, upped weight but then the first set seemed to fly, alas that was the only set that flew, the rest quickly got hard work but still up. Fvcking Pull thrus, big weight jump but the back pumps crippled me at the end. Seated calves had the same weight but a decent rep gain here, pretty much a sets worth of extra reps. Closed off with front raises, just added a 1kg DB here, still got extra reps so all good. Weighed in at 104 PWO.

Spent the afternoon dropping off urine samples, securing our fence from the recent winds and fixing the breaks on the the Mrs bike. Maths homework later. Living the dream.

8. s man

s man Elite Member

All ticking along well in here mate despite the gods trying to cripple you with the deadly virus of man flu again. You even got through the birthday celebration without killing anyone so it can't be bad lol

9. dirtyvest

dirtyvest Elite Member

He was surprisingly tolerable, but it was just him and the baby and only for 2 hrs. Still a fvcked up mess tho LOL. Cold is definitely trying to get a hold just hope the max efforts of this week don't leave me open to getting struck down, seems to just be a morning and evening hit ATM and I feel OK when I'm actually active.

Slept passed my snooze so hit the gym an hour late this morning but that probably helped with this cold kicking in a bit, all in the sinuses again but not feeling ill. Shoulder was a little tight again today but it soon got in to action.

Incline DB Press (45): 10x15s, 7x25s, 6x32.5s, 40s x14, 12, 9, 8, 9
    Lat Pull Down: #13 x14, 12, 12, 12, 12
    Incline Cable Fly: #3+5kg x13, 12, 10, 9, 9
    Cable Pull Over: #13 x13, 11, 10, 9, 8
    Flat DB Ext: 7x10s, 15+1 x14, 11, 9, 8, 8

Incline press went well once I got going. 1st set I lost a rep, after that I started matching the reps then somehow the last set I got another rep out, no idea why but equal rep volume with heavier bells is a sure fire win. LPD saw a repeat of last week's anomaly of the reps not dropping after the 2nd set, maybe form dropped but I don't think so. Inc cables went better than expected, last week I had to drop weight mid way this time I kept the weight on and still upped the rep volume. Pullovers were a grind, full pin up but equaled the rep volume. Out of the blue, extensions went the same way, shoulder held out well and altho it was only 1kg extra that's a cumulative increase of 50kg an arm. That was it, happy with how this block has gone, weighed in at 104 so up 2kg.

10. dirtyvest

dirtyvest Elite Member

Deload week is here, rejoice. Still got my cold so I'll take this week with a smile. Weekend was busy, with Saturday being cinema and 5 guys, then Sunday saw me up at half 7 to get going for Laser Tag but on the way back the Mrs got a call that her 94 y/o G'ma was taken to hospital with a chest infection and one of the those norovirus things too. Don't think it bodes will at that age when you get stuck in a bed for a while and on a drip but was running too and from the hospital yesterday as I couldn't stay with my cold.

SB Squats (paused): 8x40, 7x60, 5x80, 4x100, 105x5, 5, 5
    SLDL: 8x120, 140x6, 6, 6
    Leg Press: 6x280, 300x5, 5, 5
    Calves (Smith Squat): 100x5, 5, 5
    DB Curls: 6x12.5, 15x6, 6

Nothing special to report, started off feeling heavier than I would like but I didn't pop my sleeves on today. And annoyingly there was a hint of sciatica there today but nothing heavy enough or voluminous enough to be a problem. But all OK, good bit of stretching etc at the end.

New mattress comes tomorrow, might just fit my session in before it come if I'm quick. Mid morning delivery with a 2hr window so I bet it arrives closer to 12 than 10 but I need to be home for 10. I can rattle chest and back out double quick.

11. dirtyvest

dirtyvest Elite Member

Quick one needed today, not a problem for an upper deload. Mattress due between 10:15-12:15. Little shoulder tightness but all OK.

Flat DB Bench: 10x15s, 8x25s, 7x35s, 40s x5, 5, 5
    Lever Rows: 8x70, 80 x6, 6, 6
    Flat DB Flye: 15s x6, 6, 6
    V Bar Rows: #11 x6, 6, 6
    Supported Rear Delts: 5s x8, 8, 8

Cruised thru that lot in about half an hour and had a good bit of time to work on my shoulder afterwards too. Sod's law, got home for 10:10, mattress didn't arrive until 12:40. Still, food cooked for the rest of the week. Made pancakes for my son's breakfast tomorrow. Watched an episode of Iron Fist.

12. dirtyvest

dirtyvest Elite Member

Bit of a skive today

JM Press: 8x20, 8x40, 7x50, 50x 6, 6, 6, 6
    Barbell Curl (wide): 10x20, 30x6, 6, 6
    Push Downs: #12x 10, 10, 10
    Hammer Curls: 12.5s x6, 6, 6
    Overhead Rope: #8x 10, 10, 10
    Side Lat Raise: 7.5s x10, 10, 10

Straight forwards enough, nothing exciting, lot of time working my shoulder and back again PWO.

Took Mrs to hospital in the afternoon. It's not RA, markers are actually negative for that. They have to do a shed load more tests as fibromyalgia is untestable so they have to eliminate all else. Had bloods done for lupus etc, x-rays as they think she has some lung inflammation issues, also x-rayed pelvis etc too, but I think ultimately we'll be looking at FM.

13. dirtyvest

dirtyvest Elite Member

Pre-session physio was an interesting one. First thing he noted was my shoulder positioning looked much better. Mobility was still an issue. We then spent some time working on he shoulder to the point where he seemed to think it was as free as a healthy shoulder would be yet my ROM with it when I moved it had got worse. So now I am not to work on any shoulder rehab stuff and it's obviously as good as it can be and it's not doing anything, now we are solely focusing on thoracic mobility which is lacking and probably causing come functional competition down the chain. Got rid of some major knottage in the traps and lats which gave some relief but I can now save a lot of time by sticking to simpler work and less of it to try and optimise mobility in the upper back and neck

Squats: 6x60, 80, 4x100, 120x 4, 4
    Ham Curls: #8 x6, 6, 6
    Cable Pull Thrus: #13x 10, 10, 10
    Seated Calves: 60x6, 6, 6
    Front Lateral Raise: 10 x6, 6, 6

Easy peasy. Well, for some reason squats felt a bit tougher than I think they should have but there you go. Everything else was fine and home in plenty of time despite the physio session to get a couple of episodes of Jessica Jones under my belt.

14. dirtyvest

dirtyvest Elite Member

Last deload day. Bit of thoracic mobility and things were feeling OK.

Incline DB Press (45): 10x15s, 7x20, 7x25s, 32.5s x5, 5, 5
    Lat Pull Down: #10 x8, 6, 6
    Incline Cable Fly: #3 x6, 6, 6
    Cable Pull Over: #10 x6, 6, 6
    Flat DB Ext: 7x10s, 12.5 x6, 6, 6

Quick and easy. Shoulder not too bad but wasn't under much stress today so got it all done without having to rest too much. Finished with the some PreWO mobility drills.

And yes, I know I titled my vid as lower instead of upper but couldn't be arsed to change it

15. s man

s man Elite Member

Cracking news on the shoulders matey. Hopefully it keeps progressing this way. I know when I finally sorted out my trap and nerve issues years ago training went on leaps and bounds after that and I really started enjoying it a lot more.