The Dirty One - sept 2015 post blast poncing Pg 225

Today's leg session was

giphy.gif

Front Squat: 5x20, 40, 60, 80x 6x10, 9, 8, 7, 7 w/60-75secs rest
Hack SL/Hack Squat: 40x 15/12, 15/12, 15/12 w/90secs
Calves (Press): 180x 15, 15, 13, 13 w/60sec

Needed to man up and get some real weight on the FS, well, as real as I was willing to so up 7.5 to 80kg today. I quickly knew this was going to be a bitch of a session and TBH I was surprised I got as far as 6 sets before I lost a rep. Plan was to keep pumping the reps out until I had to pause, that would be job done. On the last set I did pause for the last rep but was happy that would that afterwards. Last rep on the last 4 sets or so was proper LA burning stuff. Decided I would superset some hack SL and squats rather than go for more GVT ham volume, wasn't feeling I could have lasted. The SL part wasn't too bad, the hack squat part was just about on the limit by the end. Finished with calf work on the press, bit risky as I could feel my legs wanting to buckle but managed to get better reps than last week. Didn't take long at all to get that done by my standards, about an hour (most of that was spent on back recovering TBH), then went about stretching and doing my shoulder rehab bits.

Really sh!tty night last night. Mrs was making all sorts of noises in her sleep and then to add insult to injury my shoulders were aching like a bitch all night so sleep was pants. On the plus side this night time aching isn't a worry as I get it to some degree every night for some reason, once I'm up they seem fine tho. Burning elbow still burning tho.

Flat DB Bench:
5x15s, 22.5s, 30s,
35s x10, 10, 10, 10, 10, 10, 10, 10, 10, 8 w/60secs
Bent Over Rows:
90kg x10, 10, 10, 10, 10, 10, 9, 9, 9, 9
Cable Xover/flyes:
#5x12, 12, 10 w/60secs
Close Grip PD:
#12x13, 12, 11

Another successful session, as usual warm ups were where things are more tentative, work sets aren't too much of an issue with the pains. Managed an extra couple of full sets this week just losing out on the final set on Inc work today. Took a fairly decent increase in rows today, last set or 2 was getting a bit ropy but in all fairly decent sets here and back feeling good. Quick blast on some cables for chest, upped the weight but wasn't able to keep at 12s fading on the last set. V bar PD after that. Started with an extra rep but still missed the 12 on the last set. Quick but intense leaving enough time for a little rehab work but not too much.

I've been getting the same for the last week or so mate. Elbow aches waking me or waking up with numb hands. This shit weather front effects lifters in a special way lol. As for the special effects from the other half you have my sympathy. Mines been a noisy sod ever since baby number 3.

Good session to close out the week sir

Shoulders and elbow are starting to piss me off, it's just that annoying relentless dull aching rather than pain (other than the odd shooting pain)..... time for a bit of google Dr-ing

Christ don't do that. You'll find out all the pains are possible precursors to heart explosions or brain aneurysm and arrive at the gym Monday in full body bubble wrap lol.

Google search........ it's fantastic!

LOL not far off altho it did help narrow down one or two things. Busy weekend, woburn safari yesterday which was awesome and a sh!t load of decorating which is how any spare time this week will be spent (another joyous 2 weeks off work where I'll be glad to go back LOL)

Up before everyone else to get my heavy day in today altho with the way the week is looking I played it sensible

Squat: 5x60, 80, 3x100, 120, 145x2, 2, 2
RDL: 120x5 185x6, 6, 6
Leg Press: 290x6, 6, 8
Ham Curls: #11x 8, 6, 7
Calf Raise: 125x 6x6 w/30secs
Seated Calf: 55x 4x12 w/60secs

Decided to hit a triple double on squats today, a cautious 90% based on 160 being about my max seeing that 155 isn't an easy double but I will stick with this plan and look to up the weight quickly, after a long day yesterday, a big GVT session last week and one due this week if I get it in and a lot of decorating I played the sensible game. They all moved quite well tho so will likely go to 150 next week. I increased RDL weight, even tried a belt, and just went for the 3 sets of 6 (a trend that I continued for the session), it all went well tho, quite strong. Leg press up 10kg and moved much better than I expected getting an extra couple on the last with no real issue. Ham curls were kept good and strict but had waves of feeling easy and hard and then finished off with calves. Not a bad session tho, arguably a little easier than ideal but something to build on now.

Bloody love Woburn and all around that area. I used to live round the corner from there in Ampthill when I worked out of Bedford. Miss the place a lot.

Strong session to build from matey. Hopefully with a few weeks off now you can attack the hell out of the numbers

Considering how near it is we'll def go back, not cheap and with half decent weather it's a whole day filled and the kids love it being so close to the animals, If my phone didn't do a countdown on the selfie setting I would have had an epic photo with a lemur

Up before the rest of the rabble again with the knowledge that I still had some painting to get done (will do tomorrow too) and a bowling trip in the evening. Shoulders had been aching all night again but then, out of the blue, they were the best they've been for a chest session for a long time... they seem to ache when seated or laying but not at other times!

Inc BB: 5x40, 60, 80, 1x100, 110x2, 2, 2
Supported DB Row: 37.5s x6, 8, 9
Flat BB: 5x80, 105x6, 6, 6
Seat V Row: #13x6, 6, 7
R/SLRs: 5/7.5s 4x12 s/s w/60secs
Farmers Shrugs: 50x 4x12 w/60secs
LPD: #11x20, 18

Tried to step things up a bit this morning. Straight away shoulders were feeling more up to the task so I was aiming to get to chest with my reps, this would also mean being slightly sensible with weight selection even with the desire to go heavy today. Inc went well, built up to a safe but still workable 110 for a triple double and got them all OK, not easy but OK. Quick switch up for rows, supported on a bench getting a good squeeze, each set got easier tho so will need to go up but movement felt great. Back to bench and now flat... less comfy on the shoulder than inc again, by some way, but hit chest on each rep with no major struggles with the niggle. Hoping the 3 sets instead of 4 will help things along but with the better ROM on everything there wasn't a whole lot more in the tank TBH. After some second guessing I went back to cable rows but with emphasis on stretch and squeeze with no swinging back. All good here but took a hit on weight doing them this late on and this focused. After a quick blast thru with same shoulder raise supersets and some shrugs I also threw in a couple of high rep sets on LPD - just for kicks. Usual rehab routine at the end altho more focused on stretches with only a little rolling.

All went well tho, straight back to a good 4-5hrs of painting again (being brave and painting Matt over Silk) and will hopefully get the job almost done tomorrow as I 2nd coat he living room and get the dining room area done - obviously this has also result in a few extra spends on new 'accessories' - I love my weeks off work.

Easy arm day today

EZ Skulls: 17.5x 8, 5....
37.5 x10, 10, 10, 10, 10, 10, 10, 10, 9, 9
Inc Curls: 12.5s x10, 10, 10, 10, 10, 10, 10, 10... 9, 9
Laying V Bar PD: #10x 18, 12, 10
DB Curls: 15s x15, 12, 12

Little tight in the shoulders this morning (after a surprisingly decent night without them aching too much) but not bad enough to prevent me from upping the skulls. Was repping quite well until the last couple which just fell short, I could here some cracking noises in my shoulder when it got that hard too. Inc curls next, correct incline this week, and managed 1 extra rep - sort of. VPD work was done laying down, forgot how much I like the rigid form of these, bit down in weight but good reps. Standing DB curls to finish with, started with a strong set and cruised to a close.

So up early to get in a brutal leg session that I was wondering whether it would be wise considering the drive to the coast I had looming, turned out this was cancelled so I can now rest my weary quads.

i-cant.gif

Front Squat: 5x20, 40, 60
80x 10, 10, 10, 10, 10, 10, 10, 8, 8, 7 w/60-75secs rest
Hack SL/Hack Squat: 65/45x 12/12, 12/12, 12/8 w/90secs
Calves (stand): 120x 12, 12, 10, 11 w/60sec

That was simply nasty. Somehow I got an extra couple of reps out on the FS work but my legs were screaming. Took me almost as long to recover from the work as it did to do it. I eventually got to the hack squat and again supersetted the SL and squat work which was a silly idea with a more workable load. Last set of the squats I just died after the 8th rep. Another long wait and instead of using the leg press for calves, as I feared my legs would buckle, I did my usual standing smith raises, struggled at the end there. Stretched my legs out but gave my shoulders a breather from rehab work today. See how it does me for tomorrow seeing as I wasn't expecting to train.

Not having the long drive was little consolation seeing as I've just spent 3hrs walking around town shopping getting my son trousers, footy boots, PE trainers, fixing the wife's watch, getting her work trousers and then my son a gaming card for being so well behaved. I deserved a pair of Nike Reax Mesh in black and grey also got a gorilla pod of a £10 in currys so happy days.

I'm tearing up with emotions just looking at that front squat opener. Fok that sideways!

That is all.

GVT on squats is just a fvcking stupid idea, today was chest and back and the 2 together aren't half as painful as squats was.

So got in the session that wasn't meant to be this morning before grandparent duties kicked in and shopping so the groceries are in ready for aquapark tomorrow. It went quite well.

Flat BB Bench:
5x40, 60,
80 x10, 10, 10, 10, 10, 10, 10, 9, 8, 7 w/60secs
Bent Over Rows:
90kg x10, 10, 10, 10, 10, 10, 10, 10, 9, 9
Cable Xover/flyes:
#5x15, 12, 10 w/60secs
Close Grip PD:
#12x15, 12, 11

In the interest of healthy shoulders and elbows I opted for BB work today, got the weight about spot on too. Surprised I got as many 10 rep sets in as I did. Lovely pump. Same for rows, worked them nicely and ho everything well. Only trouble was that by now the upper body pump just made my decision to wear shorts even more silly as my 'calves of an 8 year old' looked even worse in comparison. Cable flyes up next, banged these out quite well today then finally some V bar pull downs, these also went well.... pretty solid all round session.

Late update today as I took my boy to MK to the Pirate Crazy Golf, an hours drive for an 18 hole round of crazy golf and back again. Just me and him as he and the mrs had their usual barny and she refused to come, thinking we'd go go-karting, only he wanted to do the golf. Does my head in tho, the 2 of them bicker and argue so much it ruins the time off I take every time without fail. They both talk to each other with so much attitude it's like they're siblings not mother and son.

But anyway, wasn't sure how today would go, seem to be a bit leaner after the weekends adventures and was still aching in one or two unfamiliar places. Then when I got to the gym it was quieter than usual and I could have done with some atmosphere to feed off. But as it turned out, I did OK, and was actually a bit heavier when I weighed myself.

Squat: 5x60, 80, 3x100, 120, 150x2, 2, 2
RDL: 130x5 190x6, 6, 6
Leg Press: 300x6, 6, 6
Ham Curls: #11x 7, 7, 6
Calf Raise: 125x 12, 11, 10, 9 w/60secs
Seated Calf: 55x 12, 12, 12, 12 w/60secs

Went for the full 150 on the squats and hit nice doubles, last was probably better than the first TBH. Swiftly on to RDLs, a nice warm up set and then work sets of 190, 5 up on last week. Banged out 3x6 with no major concerns at all. Feeling brave I also upped the leg press, I had to triple check this at the end as the reps came far better than I was expecting. On to ham curls where I started the set on #12 but quickly dropped it to 11 as I wouldn't have been close to my reps, even with that 'mis-load' the sets all went pretty well. Upped the work rate on calves a bit to begin with so standing work was aiming for 4x12s today, fell short but nailed the reps well. Seated stuff wasn't bad considering the extra work I had done before either. Quick stretch and shoulder rehab was more posterior focused today to see how that works out.

Plan was an early session to get the days zoo trip in, ended out being about 10mins early so had to make sure I was time efficient. As for the shoulders, feeling kinda OK this morning for me...

Inc BB: 5x40, 60, 80, 1x100, 110x2, 2, 2
Supported DB Row: 40s x6, 6, 8
Flat BB: 5x80, 105x6, 6, 6
Seat V Row: #14x6, 6, 7
R/SLRs: 5/7.5s 4x12 s/s w/60secs
Farmers Shrugs: 50x 4x12 w/60secs
LPD: #11x22, 19

One of my better upper body (pressing) sessions for a long time pain wise, not free of all discomfort but far more tolerable and mobility wasn't bad either. Inc work moved fairly well, not so easy I was in a rush to go heavier mid-way but could be on the cards for next week with all doubles never being in doubt. Inc Rows had a better work weight today than last week, altho they seemed to feel better as the sets went on so finished with an extra couple to make sure of the work. Flat is where I usually fall apart with the shoulders but it went much better today, little twinge but nothing bad and pressed the 6s fairly well, even managing 7 on the last set (about time). Upped seated rows (these do still pull on my sore elbow pain) and got the reps I needed plus again an extra 1 on the end. Actually did shrugs before my lat raise S/S today but they stayed as they were and then finished with a high rep burn out on LPD again. Pleased with that lot, rehab work was a little abbreviated due to planned day trip.

Other than a mis-load which took me 9 sets to realise, today's was a good session.

EZ Skulls: 27.5x 5, 5....
35 x10, 10, 10, 10, 10, 10, 10, 10, 10... 40x9, 9
Inc Curls: 15s x10, 10, 10, 10, 10, 9, 8, 8, 8, 8
Laying V Bar PD: #11x 15....15, 12, 10 w/60secs
DB Curls: 15s x15, 13, 13

Slightly shoulder delicate this morning but nothing of concern following yesterday's upper day. All still moved OK, even with a heavier warm up (which was intentional), helped by the fact that I was lighter than I should have been on the skulls, I realised after set 9 so did 2 sets on 40 to give me a slight volume advantage by the end. On to incline curls and I thought I'd roll with the 15s today with the option to drop down if I needed to. But then someone grabbed one of the 12.5s which forced my hand to man up and make the 15s work, which I just about did despite falling short from set 6 onwards. Moving back to triceps it was laying tri push downs. Upped the weight and started with a good 15, then forgot the plan and rested too long so started again thankfully still getting the work in I needed. Finally it was biceps again, same weight here but a cheeky couple of extra reps. Rehab work then off for food and swimming.

Back