New Hybrid - Championi !!!!

Discussion in 'Strength & Powerlifting' started by Dirty Harry, Nov 13, 2016.

1. Dirty Harry

Dirty Harry Moderator Staff Member

OK, not seen anything on the board yet, but if/when you get chance mate would be great for you to post all about your victory and journey on here for us, must admit, I'm quite chuffed I was there around the start, who ever thought it would end where it did eh lol, a truly remarkable achievement and quite rightly, those achievements should be recognised here NH.

Take a bow New Hybrid

2. Scrappy

Scrappy Spit and Sawdust Quizmaster

Yeah spill the beans NH

Congrats too

3. dirtyvest

dirtyvest Elite Member

oh hell yeah.. update needed

4. Clubber Lang

Clubber Lang Elite Member

been following him on FB.... well done mate!!

caleb and New Hybrid like this.
  5. spearman

spearman Elite Member

Seen it on FB too. He done great.

caleb and New Hybrid like this.
  6. Big ian

Big ian Elite Member

Well done bud :cool: come on then, spill the beans!

New Hybrid likes this.
  7. New Hybrid

New Hybrid all time third top poster brahs!

ah thanks guys been feeling pretty shit for past 4 or 5 days. think i've got something approaching full on flu. literally slept all day and night yesterday. I'm awake at least today but that's the best i can say about it, lol.
    Anyway, back over in the US of A, had a hard weight cut to make the 100's. in fact all the team had hard weight cuts. being at altitude for long hual flights causes huge water retention. I'd gone up 4kg from door to door, weighing 104.7 when i stepped on scales at midnight the day before i had to weigh in. Cue a long night of bathroom home made saunas! Anyway i made it. weighed in at 98.6kg. then things got tricky as i had bench the following day but weigh in for deadlifts the same morning, for the next day. So Emma(tam captain and president of BPU) and I decided we'd go up to the 110's for deadlift. too hard to cut and lift at the same time. I weighed in at 103.8 then headed over for breakfast and then to get ready to bench.
    I had a bad day on bench, number wise, as my shirt isn't cut to work at 104-108, it works best at 96-98. so it was very tight and i had a really hard time getting the bar down to touch. That being said i got all 3 lifts in, 162.5, 167.5 and 172.5 and it was enough to take gold. still a bit annoying as i'd been hitting 180 in training but shouldn't complain :)
    So lots of time spent eating and resting up after that then deadlift on the saturday, in the 110's for the 1st time. Luckily i had the foresight to take my squat suit with me as a back up as my deadlifter was feeling a bit too tight at 101. so 1st time pulling in that suit, 1st time in 110s and things couldnt have gone better. got my opener of 257.5 no problem. We were playing a bit of a game with Yuriy Ustinov, the captain of the Russian team at this point and he'd entered at 240 which he got but i was clearly in poll position so we decided to go conservative 2nd with 265, no big jumps but i got it and it was a new british record at that point. i can remember exactly what Yuriy went for next but he got it. I was so far ahead of him though that he passed on his third. Bob my coach for the week played it beautifully and he knew he had no chance to catch me so pulled out. Now's the time for balls to the wall stuff so went for a lifetime best of 270. Got it, with a little but not much to spare. maybe an extra 5kg, maybe not.
    So 6 from 6 in multi-ply, which is pretty much un-heard of, 2 gold medals at the WPC world championships, broke the deadlift record twice at a higher weight category and beat the captain of the Russian team and president of the Russian WPC. Was amazing playing my part with such an amazing team and Yuriy telling me I was a great lifter when we were on the podium getting our medals. Made so many friends from America, Russia and France. then i had a day to watch dave hoff squat well over 500kg with ease twice before getting red lighted on depth on his third lift. unfortunately he bombed on bench. gave the same reason i did for struggling, got too big for his shirt. such a shame as his squats were just incredible. Memories that'll last a life time for sure. Can't wait to get a picture of the baby with those medals around their neck :)
    Oh and i'm going to stay in the 110s now. felt so big and strong that day and all these water cuts are bad for the kidneys and brain. need to think a little differently now i'm going to be a daddy.

caleb, Dirty Harry, J_J and 1 other person like this.
  8. New Hybrid

couple of pictures.

Attached Files:

J_J likes this.
  9. Scrappy

Nice work

Why you wearing a skirt or was it a female event?

o_O

New Hybrid and Big ian like this.
  10. Dirty Harry

Dirty Harry Moderator Staff Member

Brilliant stuff mate, you look so chuffed (and rightly so) on that podium, a big well done mate :)

New Hybrid likes this.
  11. New Hybrid

Thanks Harry, my man yuriy there had just told me I was a great lifter so yeah, couldn't have been happier at that moment .
    And lol scrappy. the Americans were going nuts for the kilt!

Dirty Harry likes this.
  12. dirtyvest

dirtyvest Elite Member

Sounds like it was an awesome experience, mate. Fantastic result and effort

New Hybrid likes this.
  13. New Hybrid

And again thank you to everyone who contributed to me getting there. be it financial or through your support. Couldn't have done it without you. now in January my wee boy or girl will have 2 gold medals round their neck from daddy ☺

Scrappy and Dirty Harry like this.
  14. New Hybrid

Americans were lapping the kilt up mate :)
    I know have nickname . highlander. I'll take it!

15. Scrappy

Any videos?