Kodi Boxes

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by dirtyvest, May 4, 2017.

1. dirtyvest

dirtyvest Elite Member

Anyone got one? Are they any good? If so which ones are recommended? Keep hearing about them but am bit of a tech-coward so don't know much about them but they sound interesting

2. Rentaghost

Rentaghost Moderator Staff Member

Just made these illegal afaik.

Sellers can now face up to ten years.

Even consumers if the act is to be understood as it reads.

The latter is fairly unlikely but it could happen.

3. Irish Beast

Irish Beast Beast Staff Member

I've heard different reports about their ease of use. I tried to use kodi on my pc a couple of times and even with an IT degree I couldn't get the fucking thing to work! could do with a decent box now as I'm having to watch sky sports through a laptop and HDMI which is ok but jumpy as the laptop video card is not great

4. dirtyvest

dirtyvest Elite Member

Isn't this 10 years jail time a bit of a scare story, dare I say 'fake news'... is that legit?

5. s man

s man Elite Member

I'm just about literate on the pc but was able to set it up on the Laptop and watch a few YouTube videos to set up the repos I needed. Probably took me about an hour I guess.

If I want to watch it on the tv I just plug in the hdmi cable.

6. TREBOR

TREBOR Elite Member

I've got kodi set up on a firestick but rarely use it as its pretty temperamental,prefer terrarium tv,pretty easy to set up and use.

7. dirtyvest

dirtyvest Elite Member

I'll look into terrarium, cheers

8. Rentaghost

Rentaghost Moderator Staff Member

Yeah the act got royal assent recently so itll become law shortly.

They will prosecute someone eventually to put the shiters on people

9. Arterial Dan

Arterial Dan Administrator Staff Member

Seen a few setupds
    Between netflix and afdah, didn't seem like there was much that wasn't already available.

I rarely have time to watch tv anyway so could be wrong about that!

10. Dirty Harry

Dirty Harry Moderator Staff Member

Use it all the time, like others it's a bit temperamental, much of it down to the signals from the internet provider to router to Fire-stick, distance between router and Fire-stick, if they're all working efficiently it's great, if not, it's not.

11. The Love Machine

The Love Machine A steroid pumping, food raping machine

Terrarium tv is the dogs for tv shows, movies go up quick but in fairly poor quality.
    Show box is still good.

I use a fire tv stick or box.
    Easy to load and use mate

12. The Love Machine

The Love Machine A steroid pumping, food raping machine

There's also ones that you pay for.

£XX for a year and gives you full sky etc and a huge catalogue of video on demand for films/box sets etc. Pretty good, but when there's fights on etc and it's peak the connection sometimes isn't great.

13. Mass Monster

Mass Monster Elite Member

Use kodi on firestick, it's ok for most new films as long as there's a HD quality stream link. When used to view live sporting events or pay per view it struggles and pretty much dies on it's arse.

Dirty Harry likes this.
  14. dirtyvest

dirtyvest Elite Member

Trying to get to grips with terrarium. Seems good. Stuck it on an old tablet, streaming makes for slightly tough viewing as I don't get a smooth consistant stream. Tried getting on my PC (laptop) which was a barrel of laughs for a technophobe like me. I installed Bluestacks and eventually realised I had to follow the DL route thru Bluestacks not thru my interwebs.

Am I right in that that is how I have to use it? By opening the app in Bluestack and then viewing it on the mock tablet that is created? Again, streaming isn't the best so I'll see what downloading and playing back goes like

15. dirtyvest

dirtyvest Elite Member

Interestingly is works well on my phone so may look to chromecast to the TV (once I get chromecast)..... I suspect my 4 year old Tab3 and not very flashy Lenevo laptop just don't have the capacity to process the streaming data very well