Cream Of Rice....

Discussion in 'Nutrition Advice' started by Clubber Lang, Nov 11, 2019.

1. Clubber Lang

Clubber Lang Elite Member

my missus cant eat oats as it bloats her, and puts me on the receiving end of some horrible gas!

her coach has suggested gluten-free oats to try, see if she gets the same results, she does.

he also suggest trying cream of rice.

does anyone use cream of rice and if so where do you buy it from? Is it nice? She'll be mixing whey with it.

I see some bulk suppliers, like GoNutrition, sell it.

2. dirtyvest

dirtyvest Elite Member

When she has oats does she leave them (in milk or water) for a few hours before eating them?

3. Clubber Lang

Clubber Lang Elite Member

no she just using boiling water on them and eats.

i remember trying some of the cream of rice now, i bought the GoNutrition stuff, was horrible. Gave the bag away. So scrap that idea lol

4. The Love Machine

The Love Machine A steroid pumping, food raping machine

Had this. Awful.

5. dirtyvest

dirtyvest Elite Member

She should try soaking them for a min of 4 hrs preferably overnight. Oats contain phytic acid which inhibits absorption. Soaking them breaks this acid down and makes them more digestible. Made a huge difference for me.

Dirty Harry and NM1 like this.
  6. spearman

spearman Elite Member

I use ground rice flour. Mix it with some protein and a bit of hot water. Through in some raisins.

7. NM1

NM1 Elite Member

Second DV's post strongly if you want to eat oats.

As spearman says ground rice flour is the cost effective way of doing it over here IMO

Just bear in mind you're going from something which will require some digestion and will take a while to be digested and assimilated (oats) and going to something with a massively increased surface area.

You will absorb the carbs much, much faster. If you have impaired digestion (bloat, gas, bad shits etc) then messing with flour or ground/powdered carbs can exacerbate the digestive issues.

Carbs especially should be chewed till broken down with saliva etc. I've found a lot of people slam stuff down - essentially putting undigested food in the system.

Being mindful of how much you're actually chewing etc. and slowing down can be huge. You'll also get more out of less.

8. spearman

spearman Elite Member

I’ve actually started using weetabix instead of oats these days. I gave less digestion issues with them.

9. Dirty Harry

Dirty Harry Moderator Staff Member

Have you looked into the low FODMAP diet Clubber ? If not, well worth looking into it, my ex, for all her sins, was brilliant on the subject and all the associated issues, she wrote an e-book with various recipes, many of which were through trial and error/empirical as well as established dishes.
    She could go from having a stomach as flat as a pancake one day, eat the "wrong" thing and bloat like she was 6 months pregnant the next, then go back to her diet and be flat as a pancake the next day, if I didn't see it with my own eyes I don't think I'd have believed the difference.