Cooking sweet potato?

Discussion in 'Recipes' started by Bilo, Nov 29, 2014.

1. Bilo

Bilo Senior Member

The only method I've ever done really is bake then squeeze them out the skin to mash. They just end up too juicy though and sloppy.

Just nuked some peeled and chopped up (shite aldi ones, bruised and black inside), they're proper dry now. Just whacked in some coconut oil to add some moisture.

My fries are a disaster too.

2. Mass Monster

Mass Monster Elite Member

Generally tend to just throw them in the pressure cooker with the rest of the peeled veg, sometimes roast or fry when eating with steak.

Bilo likes this.
  3. Bilo

Bilo Senior Member

Hasn't turned out bad to be fair, a dollop of oil deffo helped. 10 min in the mic. Just need to get better spuds, saw fucking massive ones in asda the other day.

4. Mass Monster

Mass Monster Elite Member

Morrison's have mass

5. StevieB

StevieB Senior Member

I always chop them up and boil them. If you nuke them put a cup of water in the microwave with it and it won't dry out ;)

6. StevieB

StevieB Senior Member

If you like mackerel (the tinned stuff) nuke your sweet potato. Scoop it out mix the potato and mackerel together, put it back in the skin and whack it under the grill for a couple of minutes. It's a decent quick snack.

Bilo likes this.
  7. Incognito

Incognito Resident wookie

Wave them up and whack a topping on. Chilli is nice. Tuna crunch mix,whack with plain meat n veg

Put in stew type turnout. These are bulk of my carb source ATM love them

8. Roy@/_

Roy@/_ Elite Member

Just microwave for 10 mins

9. Homercles

Homercles Moderator Staff Member

Loads you can do with sweet potato, one of my faves is slice them into wedges (keep the skin on) spread them on a baking tray and toss with oil, a little salt, smoked paprika and some chili. Bake them until lightly browned. Delicious :)

10. Dirty Harry

Dirty Harry Moderator Staff Member

Very similar to me, but I use Cajun spices and a bit of oil, really nice, although I prefer a normal spud.

11. Homercles

Homercles Moderator Staff Member

Can't beat traditional spuds H!

The sweet variety makes a nice change though, usually buy them when there going cheap in Lidl :)

Dirty Harry likes this.
  12. Deadpan

Deadpan Elite Member

Scrub em and microwave them(I prefer less heat for longer) 

Well scrubbed and ends chopped off I love them whole

13. Pip

Pip Elite Member

How do you guys make chips/fries out of them?

Mine have always ended up a bit soggy like OP

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 30, 2014
  14. The Red Meat Kid

The Red Meat Kid Elite Member

Chop into wedges, par-boil for 10mins.

foil covered tray.. add wedges, season, bit of cinnamon and splenda.. overn at 200 for 35mins. 

nice crispy wedges

megageo and Pip like this.
  15. Dirty Harry

Dirty Harry Moderator Staff Member

Tbh mate , I think with them having quite a high moisture content it's, I wouldn't say difficult, but more a bit hit and miss, personally I'd chop and dry off in some paper towels first (chop them a bit thinner), spray with fry light and mix spices and then whack in the top of the oven on high on a perforated baking sheet, if not crispy enough try finishing them off under the grill (but keep an eye on them Pip, burnt a few loads forgetting them for a minute or two too long).

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 30, 2014
    megageo and Pip like this.